Sanding Belts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a supplier of good 75 x 533mm sanding belts? The ones I am using are Silverline from ebay (40 belts for £20 I think) but don't last long, even if I clean them.

Thanks,
Mark

Get ones based on Norton or Hermes cloth abrasive. Silverline almost anything will be a source of disappointment.

Bob

I'll order some Hermes belts from Axminster when I have over £50 worth of stuff to buy, though I can't order them yet as they'll eat into my bandsaw fund! (hammer)

Cheers,
Mark

mark aspin":2z10ftrh said:
I'll order some Hermes belts from Axminster when I have over £50 worth of stuff to buy, though I can't order them yet as they'll eat into my bandsaw fund! (hammer)

Cheers,
Mark

Buy them in 10's from axi as the price goes down quite a bit and they send you them in there own box which helps store them and keep the different grits organised.

If you buy 10x each of 40,60,80,120 grit then its over £50 so you get the free shipping. No point in getting the finer grits, thats what less aggressive sanders are for.

Looking back it was well over a year when I brought just the above when I brought a new belt sander, my old one used smaller belts so I had to order all grits again. Anyhow I still have over half a box of each after over a year. I also brought the abrasive cleaning stick and still have over 85% of it left and I use it with all sanders again daily.

I also mark down the grits. When a 80g stops cutting to well I use it as a 120g until its ready for the bin.

Hudson Carpentry":pt1gfwd1 said:
I also brought the abrasive cleaning stick

I also bought one of those. I lent it to a guy at work and never saw it again as he left!! A while later I saw Rico use a piece of garden hose to clean his sander. Very handy as I had loads that the foxes had chewed through. Works perfectly.

Roy

Yes I used to use hose but I found at the price of the stick its far less hassle then keep cutting bits of hose off. Looks better on site also.

I run a decorating business as well as being a hobby woodworker and I get through humongous amounts of abrasives, as you can imagine.

I order all mine, rolls, belts and discs, over the internet from Abtec (abtec4abrasives.com). Their stuff is made by either an Italian or Spanish company, I forget which, and it's all good quality stuff, unlike some of the worse-than-useless Chinese tat that's floating about on the market. Their technical knowledge is also spot on and, if they can't answer a question, they'll find someone who can.

Just had a quick look and 75x533 are just over a quid each for 10 plus vat plus p+p, although over 50 quid and it's free postage.

No connection, just a satisfied customer :wink:

I also use Hermes cloth backed on my 4" Makita. Most of the time its 120 grit for cleaning up glued frames in both hard and softwood. 180 grit is nice for a quick sand over on birch plywood. They are well worth the money with a good cut and length of life. I have a box of 60 grit, but these are seldom used andIi have found the glue joint has broken down with age. This is despite being kept in a dry workshop.

For cleaning I use one of the readily available disc/belt cleaners. I used to use blocks of rubber/crepe wellington boot heel that I could buy from a local supplier. This is/was the same material.

Colin

Cheers Andy, those sanding belts seem to be very good value. I'll either order some from Abtec, or Norton belts from Axminster when my cheap ones finally wear out.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Mark

Back