Sanding belts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a perform belt & disc sander :lol:

Clacking belts, I cant be the only other person that this annoys?
Working in a domestic garage, i like to keep the noise to a minimum, the 'clacking' is twice as loud as the motor

I gather its the join on the belt? Or the machine.....
It only does it when under pressure, when free running, its fine.

The belt linishers at work have a very hard rubber roller, and the flat metal frame it runs on has some kind of 'stuff' on it, possibly teflon? No clacking on that.

So do we think its the machine or the belts?

I think it's the machine - worst bit of kit I ever bought.
Put me off the brand forever!

Rod

Has it made this noise from new? I have a similar far-eastern clone machine which started making this sort of row under load when the toothed drive belt became very worn. A quick change of belt quietened it down again.

It's not the machine but the belts. Cheap belts have a sharfed joint which bumps on whats being sanded every revolution. If you buy butt joined belts it will cure your problem. Try Axminster belts.

I cant remember if it has always made the noise to be honest. I have had it about 8-9 years, it spent about 4 virtually unused.

I have had a look at the drive belt, it appears to be okay, no real wear that i can see.

Also checked the joint on the belt, it is raised slightly, so I think that is the cause. You mention Cheap belt, possibly it most likely came from Toolstation :oops:

I shall look up some better belts.

Back