Sanding belts warning.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Belt sanding a new sycamore table top starting with 40 grit and working up. Bought some cheapo unbranded belts but the 40 grade obviously has some grit in there bigger sized, which leave isolated deep scratches really difficult to remove. The belt itself seems durable though and is OK for rough work. Thought I'd mention it as a useful warning!
What brand variety of belt should I buy for consistent quality and long life? Working up through 40, 60, 80, 120 etc.

I would’ve said 40 is way too rough to start with on something you actually want to finish nicely as the grit will embed itself and is difficult to remove. Unless you had masses of tear out to remove I would’ve started with 80.

Mirka or Wurth belts.

Trevanion":3sqe7erf said:
I would’ve said 40 is way too rough to start with on something you actually want to finish nicely as the grit will embed itself and is difficult to remove. Unless you had masses of tear out to remove I would’ve started with 80.

Mirka or Wurth belts.
I had a problem with the glue up and had to remove quite a lot to get a flat surface. Not normally a problem. I've done this before (working through the grits) but just this batch of belts cause a problem.
OK I'll look up Mirka and Wurth belts thanks

+ 1 for Mirka belts, avoid old stock though as I bought some Hermes belts and the glue joint gave up.
When I contacted them they said they were out of date!

Merlin

BND abrasives are a great supplier - phone them and say what you’re using them for and they’ll recommend what’s best.

Mirka, wouldnt use hermes if they were giving them away.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back