• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Sanding belts warning.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Belt sanding a new sycamore table top starting with 40 grit and working up. Bought some cheapo unbranded belts but the 40 grade obviously has some grit in there bigger sized, which leave isolated deep scratches really difficult to remove. The belt itself seems durable though and is OK for rough work. Thought I'd mention it as a useful warning!
What brand variety of belt should I buy for consistent quality and long life? Working up through 40, 60, 80, 120 etc.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I would’ve said 40 is way too rough to start with on something you actually want to finish nicely as the grit will embed itself and is difficult to remove. Unless you had masses of tear out to remove I would’ve started with 80.

Mirka or Wurth belts.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
Toolstation belts are the worst, in my experience.

The belts with the best reviews seem to be 3M purple belts, easy to get in the US, hard to get in the UK.

Edit: found it here. Bit pricey though...

3M 81401 3-Inch by 21-Inch Purple Regalite Resin Bond 80 Grit Cloth Sanding Belt, Pack of 5 https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000223R ... 9DbEXE0JRA

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Trevanion":3sqe7erf said:
I would’ve said 40 is way too rough to start with on something you actually want to finish nicely as the grit will embed itself and is difficult to remove. Unless you had masses of tear out to remove I would’ve started with 80.

Mirka or Wurth belts.
I had a problem with the glue up and had to remove quite a lot to get a flat surface. Not normally a problem. I've done this before (working through the grits) but just this batch of belts cause a problem.
OK I'll look up Mirka and Wurth belts thanks

merlin

Established Member
Reaction score
+ 1 for Mirka belts, avoid old stock though as I bought some Hermes belts and the glue joint gave up.
When I contacted them they said they were out of date!

Merlin

--Tom--

Established Member
Reaction score
BND abrasives are a great supplier - phone them and say what you’re using them for and they’ll recommend what’s best.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Mirka, wouldnt use hermes if they were giving them away.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk