Sand Paper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi, Does anyone know a supplier for extra fine sand paper, preferably with a Web shop ?

Welcome to the forum, Michael.

Try CSM Abrasives, although I haven't tried them recently so I'm not sure if they've sorted out a couple of issues with their website. (Ooo, looks all smart I see - so I guess they have. Maybe... :roll: ) Axminster also have a pretty good range.

Cheers, Alf

Ooooh.....I see what you mean about CSM Abrasives....nice site.....as for sand paper I got some 500grit finishing paper from Axminster the other week and I'm pretty sure that they did higher grades.

SimonA

Hi Michael

Welcome to the forum.

Alf":p2xrolcl said:
Try CSM Abrasives, although I haven't tried them recently so I'm not sure if they've sorted out a couple of issues with their website. (Ooo, looks all smart I see - so I guess they have. Maybe... :roll: )

Errr, no. :cry:

Cheers
Neil

See? It doesn't pay to try and not be cynical... :?

Alas, as Neil says; no. :( Pretty safe bet to offer free delivery on internet orders when no-one's gonna do it. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

For the fine sanding of wood, especially guitar components such as rosewood and ebony fingerboards, I have always used standard ( not the special for wood types) silicon carbide wet and dry from places such as Halfords. Axminster sell it as well, quite good prices for boxes of 50 sheets. Grades up to 2000, finest I ever needed was 400, coarsest 120
John

Neil, what is the objection to CSM?

I ordered a mixed batch of wet&dry from their website a few months ago when I was first fettling planes and sharpening various tools. Everything arrived in good order and very quickly, I seem to remember.

Is it the common lack of a secure order system?

Hi Pete

1. They do not handle your name, address and telephone securely.

2. Their security certificate is two years out of date.

Cheers
Neil

Micheal

Welcome to the forum

Can I ask why you want to go beyond 500 grit? I only ask as it is usually thought that 300ish grit is adequate for woodworking - I usually don't go beyond 240 grit sanded with the grain

Wet 'n' dry paper is available form Machine mart and B&Q + car accessory places up to around 1500 grit

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/search.asp?q=wet

Hmm, Simon mentioned 500 grit, but Michael has kept us all in the dark about just how fine he needs/wants to go. Generally you find you want to go to finer grits for denibbing etc between coats of finish, which is what I imagine Simon had in mind. Oh, and ScarySharp demands higher grits too, of course.

Cheers, Alf

Good point Alf

For denibbing I usually use 600 grit wet and dry - wet of course

Back