Sand between coats of Osmo?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

First time applying Osmo; do you sand between coats? I plan on application with non-abrasive pad, although i do have some of the festool vlies and pads at 1500 grit.

Short answer.....no.

However I was taught to apply it with a light grey (3M) abrasive pad which does slight contradict the above answer (learnt from Mark Fish)

I've never sanded between coats on osmo polyx or the extra thin coat. I have pretty good results from it.

I usually sand up to 120 or 180g before applying.

Though, I am not as experienced as most of the people on here!

The trick is putting it on thin, the non abrasive pad will burnish the finish a little so no need for sanding.
I find if you add your osmo, leave it 15 mins, go back over with a clean non abrasive pad and remove any excess with firm pressure. Then make sure it’s warm ish when drying. I bring my projects into the house after applying as it’s too cold in the garage at the moment for it to dry.

Less is definitely more with Osmo!

Apply very thinly, I tend to use a rag then wipe off any excess with an abrasive pad. If it doesn’t feel silky smooth when it’s dry you just need to very lightly wipe a piece if fine sand paper over it. (I use the foam backed finishing pads) It is literally just a wipe, you shouldn’t need to sand per se.

Thanks guys, the worktop is sitting in my utility room, same as Rorton- far too cold in the shed for me or the workpiece!

Less is definitely more with Osmo!

Apply very thinly, I tend to use a rag then wipe off any excess with an abrasive pad. If it doesn’t feel silky smooth when it’s dry you just need to very lightly wipe a piece if fine sand paper over it. (I use the foam backed finishing pads) It is literally just a wipe, you shouldn’t need to sand per se.
This is basically exactly what I do.

brush on 1st coat, then use a rag to wipe the entire thing down.Very light sponge sand and then light brush on for second coat and leave.

I only use Osmo worktop oil, for chopping boards. I generally rub it lightly with a partly used green scouring pad. Seems to give a silkier finish for me.

The OSMO website and my supplier of choice, Wood Finishes at Folkestone have some good technical data sheets.

My own experience with some Birch ply furniture is : thin coat, very light rub with the grey "scouring pad" and repeat twice more . . . and then a 6 monthly treatment with the OSMO cleaner and 1 thin coat/rub as before.

Last edited:
I used Osmo for the first time on an oak table top I'm making. I had already put a thinned coat of shellac on to raise the grain and colour the wood a little. I knocked that back for a coat of Osmo. I took a fine scotch brite pad to it to buff it before adding a second coat. I had managed to get some flecks of dust and stuff in the first coat but the scotch brite pad lifted those off and the second coat looks lovely. Not quite perfect but good enough for a first time.

@robgul so apply using a cloth, let it dry, then buff with the pad, and repeat?

Yes in principle - although for a large-ish table I did put the first coat on with a small foam roller - rolling it out as thinly as possible. I left 24 hours before applying each of the subsequent coats with a rag. The other furniture was all just done with a rag for all coats.

I've been very pleased with the result and durability of the finish - especially as it's a table that's in use 3 times a day for meals (we have some stainless steel place mats, trivets and coasters with rubber feet to avoid marking the table). The table is cleaned using the OSMO spray cleaner that's specifically for the finish.

The students are currently using Osmo on some veneered tea trays, we have sanded to 320/400 grit and applied very thin coats of Osmo with a muslin cloth or a cotton rubber, cutting back with 400 grit between coats. I think the recommendation on the tins is sand to 120 preparation with no sanding between coats. You can use Scotchbrite or Merlon pads to apply coats, if used aggressively this cuts back the finish and fills the grain but can leave the finish looking muddy.
bvzLKXdPRMmbt8u5YDhPNA.jpg

Last edited:
I apply with white non scratch sponges with the sponge taken off (cheaper than buying actual white pads) apply it really really thinly. Let it dry 10 mins wipe any residue off with the sponge left over. No cutting back then repeat 12 hours later. If I want a bit more shine buff with a clean white pad after 24 hours.

Back