Same old, same old, new video

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Same old idea
Same old subject
Same old geezer
Shiny new video:
[youtube]0j2g0FtvkBE[/youtube]

Warning: It will take up eight-and-a-half minutes of your life and it doesn't actually contain any actual woodwork, actually.

Why haven't I seen one of these before? It's ingenious.

I'm going to have to make one right away for squaring up windows, doors and frames. Using a tape measure from corner to corner works but it is awkward sometimes, this seems like it would work a treat for it.

Thanks Steve.

Brilliant!
Clear and succinct.
Now I really will go and make one, or several.

Thanks Steve.

I've come across this device before, thought it was useful looking, but never got round to making one. I'm prompted to rectify that omission because only last week there was a carcass assembly undertaken where this Square of Thales might have served better than the common alternative I used of a pair of telescoping sticks. Slainte.

Thanks Steve, good to see you back on the screen.

Nice one Steve!

Never seen your bench look so clear, you must let me know how to do that.

Pete

Thank you gentlemen. And than you for Liking, apparently it makes a difference.
Pete, it was hard, I can tell you. We are bench-buddies, are we not? :)

For the record, I'd like to point out that I really couldn't have got it as good as it is without the very generous help and expertise from Eric the Viking. He's sorted out all sorts of technical problems for me. Top man.

I'd like to make a really simple suggestion for the construction of this piece, because I am very sure that many people's instinct would be to start by making the longest piece first. If you make the short arm first, and then fix it somewhere near the middle of the longer piece of wood, you can then swing the short piece around as the exact marker for the two uncut ends. This prevents ever having to find the centre, and thus takes that potential inaccuracy out of the equation.

Apologies to anyone who already knows how to avoid getting a mouthful of albumen.

great explanation!
Hope we will see more of these now.
FYI the auto subtitles were not bang on but the gist was good enough to follow.

I made one of these (based on you original) years ago.

Never told you this but:
As you know I used to be involved in the nuclear industry and was involved in building a mega concrete structure in Berkshire :wink:
The engineers were talking of checking the building for square using elaborate measuring equipment and Pythagoras.
I took in a small version of your device.
Not only were the engineers gob smacked but my credibility soared.

lurker":2agesb9h said:
FYI the auto subtitles were not bang on but the gist was good enough to follow.
Interesting. How does that work? It must use voice recognition, I guess.

I made one of these (based on you original) years ago.
I'm flattered that you think it is mine, it's as old as the hills, my only contribution has been to name and publicise it.

Never told you this but:
As you know I used to be involved in the nuclear industry and was involved in building a mega concrete structure in Berkshire :wink:
The engineers were talking of checking the building for square using elaborate measuring equipment and Pythagoras.
I took in a small version of your device.
Not only were the engineers gob smacked but my credibility soared.

Nah, they couldn't have used Pythagoras, they'd have needed a pencil...

That was superb, it was all superb but the bit about the pencil facing the other way was really superb!

One other thing, only my opinion but I think your presentational style is better than in your original videos. The infectious enthusiasm is still there, but the delivery is somehow calmer and more relaxed.

Top job!

=D>

Made a little ply one today and works a treat.

Ordered some Aluminium to make some more durable ones for work that won't be prone to having glue stuck all over them.

Excellent. Liked and subscribed.
I learned something new today.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back