same machine different brand/licence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whickhamwoodwork

Established Member
Reaction score
same machine different brand/licence....I'm looking to by a bench top morticer having read the reviews for a axminster AW16BMST2 there seems to be a problem with getting the fences square, does any body know if the SIP 01944 is a different machine. Can any one recomend a similar machine 1/2h.p. with a lateral travel of a 100mm or so, 40mm or similar of longitudinal.

whickhamwoodwork":1b0fpopx said:
same machine different brand/licence....I'm looking to by a bench top morticer having read the reviews for a axminster AW16BMST2 there seems to be a problem with getting the fences square, does any body know if the SIP 01944 is a different machine. Can any one recomend a similar machine 1/2h.p. with a lateral travel of a 100mm or so, 40mm or similar of longitudinal.

Bear in mind that identical designs, from the same factory can STILL have different machining tolerances and QA in general depending on the retailer or brand.

The recent chinese "Maine-a-like" planes available from various outlets are an examplar of this.

BugBear

Thanks for your reply, I ended up speaking to Axminster who informed me that different manufacturers will use the same drawings to produce the same machine and also mentioned that even in the same factory there can be varying tolerances, as you did.

They assured me that if there was a persisting fault they would not be selling this particular item.

I will post a review in a few days.

My mortiser (also Axi) Don't have a dead on square fence but it don't make much a difference. When putting your chisel in you just turn it sqaure to the fence and your cuts then become square. Its more important to ensure the bed is 90deg to the chisel.

Thanks, I've been using an old draper one for ages and the fence kind of wobbled so I used to clamp it and then set the chisel square to it, ideally I was looking for a machine without a faf on but on a relatively cheap machine I will probably have to expect a little here and there. I'll defo be checking that the bed is square though.
Thanks.

If it helps I have been using an SIP 01375 Heavy Duty Cast Iron Morticer for the last 6 years and it is still like new and has never missed a beat!

Used more or less daily and if I had a quid for every mortice hole cut with it I'd probably wouldnt be working any more :mrgreen:

Gets my vote - hands down!

Back