Sam an East End Cabinet Maker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpercysnodgrass

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a copy of 'Sam an east end cabinet maker' which I thought I had lost but recently found. It is a pamphlet publication of the memoirs of Sam Clarke who grew up in Bethnal Green and worked as a cabinet maker in the furniture industry around that area from the early 1920's. It gives a fascinating insight into the life of a young jewish boy growing up in the east end and being apprenticed into the furniture trade which at the time Sam was working turned more and more to mass production methods.
This booklet is very special to me as I lived in Bethnal Green just round the corner from where Sam lived and worked and my first workshop was just down the road near Old Street. I met and worked with many cabinet makers and French polishers that were contemporaries of Sam and heard first hand their tales of working practices and conditions in that time.
If anybody is interested to read this rare publication I will pop it into the post for you and if there are several of you that would want to read it it could be posted on in a 'round robin' style and hopefully back to me. The cost of postage is £1.53 but somebody might have to buy another envelope if this one falls apart.

I would love to have a read and then pass on to the next person

Do you have the address of his workshop? I used to do cabinet making just over the road from the york Hall in a railway arch.

Adidat

Do you have the address of his workshop? I used to do cabinet making just over the road from the york Hall in a railway arch.

Adidat
You must have been in Paradise Row then! When were you there?
Sam mentioned the roads where he worked but did not mention Paradise Road I think most of the workshops at his time were around Valance Road (home to the Krays) Voss street still had many workshops when I first moved there in 1979/80 and lots were in the streets between there and hackney road there was still a cartwheel maker on the corner of Squirries street and Bethnal Green road making wheel for the market stalls. Stan who I did my apprenticeship under worked in Cheshire street in the 1930's and said there were many workshops there.

You must have been in Paradise Row then! When were you there?
Sam mentioned the roads where he worked but did not mention Paradise Road I think most of the workshops at his time were around Valance Road (home to the Krays) Voss street still had many workshops when I first moved there in 1979/80 and lots were in the streets between there and hackney road there was still a cartwheel maker on the corner of Squirries street and Bethnal Green road making wheel for the market stalls. Stan who I did my apprenticeship under worked in Cheshire street in the 1930's and said there were many workshops there.

I was in poyser Street only a few years ago. Its a very different place now.

One of our customers when she was a junior dr did a certificate of death for one of the kray twins.

Adidat

Arrived today and will have a good read over the next couple of days. But looks good so far, read the intro and brain worked out the origin of the phrase "beyond the pale". So been a bonus already. Next person who would like a read ad on here or send me a pm

Well I worked in Bermondsey for my sins as a restorer for a load of antique dealers/shysters, and was often down Bethnal green and Brick lane and many of the small back roads where many clock smiths,gilders and carvers worked where I got my " spare parts" . So, I too would like to read this phamplet but it would be easier to pdf it and email it to me.
Here's hoping , Karl W

Are you in Chippy now or over the water. When I was young I made an error and married a girl from Shipton under Wychwood, married to someone else now

Back