Sainsburys car parks.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving into our local Sainsbury & M&S car park they have an electronic sign board that displays your car number plate numbers electronically.

Does anyone know if this is now national and what it is all about?

Perhaps its to ban certain customers from entering the site?

Personally I think it is an invasion of privacy if ever there is one!

I suspect it is to police the two hour parking allowance, expect a bill if you overstay, becoming quite common at service stations etc. but not all have a 'deterrent' display.

As to whether the information is used for any reason such as adding to the buying patterns gained from store cards, who knows.

CHJ said:
I suspect it is to police the two hour parking allowance, expect a bill if you overstay, becoming quite common at service stations etc. but not all have a 'deterrent' display.
CHJ said:
that information is spot on ....the only down side is they dont police Disabled bays or Parent and child bay areas

Dave :O)

Webby":50zgxjbr said:
CHJ":50zgxjbr said:
CHJ":50zgxjbr said:
that information is spot on ....the only down side is they dont police Disabled bays or Parent and child bay areas

Sadly no. They let the police do it for themselves...

image-7-58435035.jpg

Webby":czs5murt said:
CHJ":czs5murt said:
CHJ":czs5murt said:

Surely if the camera is on the entrance to the car park all registration numbers will be viewed?

Baldhead

Do parents really need special parking bays, my mom used to walk me and my two sisters around Smethwick market, (although I was in the pushchair, so not actually walking) When she fostered, there would be eight of us in a Hillman hunter estate, I can't remember a problem shopping at a super market.

Gary

And I guess they weren't wearing seat belts and using baby or booster seats?

Times have changed - the bays are for folks with small children and are wider to allow doors to be opened wider (as are disabled bays). And are situated closer to the entrances.
Not for lazy bustards who are too lazy to walk a bit further!

Rod

Harbo":379jldd1 said:
- the bays are for folks with small children and are wider to allow doors to be opened wider (as are disabled bays). And are situated closer to the entrances. Not for lazy bustards who are too lazy to walk a bit further! Rod

:lol: :lol: That's definitely not me (much to the annoyance of my long suffering wife ). You'll find my car parked as far as possible from any others, especially those with baby seats, 3 doors, old and battered etc etc. That inevitably means miles from the shop entrance.

'Cos I'm paranoid about scratches and dents from careless "persons" who fling their doors wide open and scrape past with trolleys #-o

Bob

devonwoody":2iwytqdf said:
Driving into our local Sainsbury & M&S car park they have an electronic sign board that displays your car number plate numbers electronically. Does anyone know if this is now national and what it is all about? Perhaps its to ban certain customers from entering the site? Personally I think it is an invasion of privacy if ever there is one!

I don't know if it is national or not but Sainsbury's and Asda do it in our area. It seems not unreasonable to expect you to complete your shopping and leave the car park within two hours.

What is this "privacy" you refer to? There is no such thing if you are anywhere that has public access. You can be tracked pretty much everywhere you go - especially in built-up areas. If you manage to avoid the very many CCTV cameras that most towns have, you won't avoid the Number Plate Recognition cameras on all major roads that plot damned near every mile your car travels!

Richard

CHJ":3rbjeqn3 said:

Whilst I would not knowingly abuse a private enterprises facilities, I do take offence at being misled...

Just to make anyone aware that might not know, these "fines" from TCP et al in Sainsburys have no legal standing and are completely unenforceable. If you get one just ignore it. They try to make them look like they have some legal basis.

See http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=46975

Thomvic re privacy, its what Mr.Sainsbury does with that information that could be the problem (for me), Lists and names etc. are collated and used for all sorts of intensive selling and information techniques, could even be looking at what sort of car you are driving and when your bill and those bonus tickets are produced at the till when you pay could influence the result. (might give you a 10p off a litre instead of nothing :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: )
He might even be selling this information to other commercial setups at 50p a time and not giving you a share of his take :mrgreen: )

Mr.Sainsbury did not spend £10K or what ever is was to install the gadget in Torquay unless he is going to make some money out of it I reckon.

Hi, Devonwoody

Go to Sainsburys on yor motorbike, problem solved.

Is Sainsburys close to the beach? are people using it as a free car park?

Pete

Parking in town for local workers is short in summer because of visitors so I think locals park at supermarkets and get a bus into town, also cheaper than town parking charges. (I would do it)

thomvic":3bhm240k said:
If you manage to avoid the very many CCTV cameras that most towns have, you won't avoid the Number Plate Recognition cameras on all major roads that plot damned near every mile your car travels!

If that is true why do they bother parking number plate recognition cameras in lay-bys?

whiskywill":25mb4wg3 said:
If that is true why do they bother parking number plate recognition cameras in lay-bys?
Because they are more than likely operated by a different organisation identifying road users without insurance etc.

The national Traffic Master road movement cameras are used by route advising systems to gather up to date traffic advisory information, and presumably in the case of obtaining a correct warrant can be used to trace vehicle movements.

If you have your mobile 'phone switched on whilst travelling your movements are plot-able by anyone by obtaining the cell information.

Edited to correct Links.

The Highways Agency have traffic cameras on all Trunk Roads and Motorways with Recognition Software - in theory could be used as Average Speed Cameras but not plans to do so at the moment.
They were very useful in tracking Terrorists.

If you've done nothing wrong why the worry?

Did you see the CCTV of those brothers recently sentenced for murder carrying the body out in a suitcase and then coming out of the woods after burying the victim?

Rod

CCTV cameras don't identify the people, or cars being recorded, more useful for viewing a scene after an incident has taken place or on the rare occasion cameras are monitored, watching out for potential issues, such as fights after club turn out in the evenings. Number plate recognition cameras are still fairly rare on highways and most are accompanied by warning signs. Apart from going into London, I have come across them in fuel stations to catch non payers, and of course in car parks.
I must admit I have been caught by one of these and ignored the threatening letters (from a 'debt collection' company who turned out to be owned by the same company that ran the car park). They gave up eventually but they did get very intimidating.

Latest posts

Back