Sagging router insert plate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Routermonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I've been using my router table to cut rebates and tenons for my current project (yes, I should be doing this by hand but at the moment I have to take care not to strain myself ! ).

I could not get consistent depths of cut, and I have found out the reason - my insert plate is sagging. It's only by a small amount but it's enough to spoil things. I took it out of the table and removed my Trend T11 router but it's still sagging. I bought it a few years ago from Axminster. It's made by Rousseau (I think it's identical to the one marketed by Trend) , and it's supposed to have a crown of about 0.8 mm.

Has anyone else got any experience of sagging phenolic plates?

I spoke to Axminster's customer services people but they classify this product as obsolete and no longer support it. I checked the manufacturer's website and they claim it has a lifetime warranty! I guess I could contact them but is it worth the effort?

I contacted Woodworker's Workshop and spoke to Roger, who was very helpful. He sells a pre-drilled aluminium plate made by Incra. It's expensive but it's solid and looks bomb-proof.

The problem with most of the current crop of insert plates on offer is that the sizes are different from the Rousseau/Trend plate and the Axminster-branded one. If I buy the Incra plate (or even Jessem or Kreg) I may have to make a Mk 3 router table!

Thanks

Les

Routermonster":3c1v0m07 said:
Hi All

The problem with most of the current crop of insert plates on offer is that the sizes are different from the Rousseau/Trend plate and the Axminster-branded one. If I buy the Incra plate (or even Jessem or Kreg) I may have to make a Mk 3 router table!

Thanks

Les

Could you not have a plate made to size from some auminium- it probably wouldnt be as expensive as you think. I priced one up from a local fabricators, made from 2 sheets of 3mm aluminium, and for a 1off they wanted about £40, including drilling, milling and 3 inserts. That was about 300x200mm IIRC. Even if it was double that, if it saved you having to make a new table, it would be worth doing.

Routermonster":2yav7yw3 said:
Has anyone else got any experience of sagging phenolic plates?

Yup, i had the Trend one, bought it with a T11, only lasted a few months before the crown, that was definitely there when i fitted it in the table disappeared & turned into a hollow.

IIRC I gave it foc to a forum member, with an explanation of why i was changed to a metal plate. Cant remember where i bought the new plate but it fit nicely in the existing hole.

BTW nice to see you back posting Les.

Cheers.

I've got the same issue with the same router plate. Mine has a DW626 underneath and the weight is evidently just too much. I am planning an upgrade to a lifter type metal plate in due course.

I had the same accuracy issues with tenons and some additonal bracing provided a short term solution, but the sag is soon back.

Ed

I have a 626 in one of those plates too. Not really used it fully so cannot comment but after I bought the plate I spotted on here about the sagging lots of people changed to Ali ones.

I've got a Woodpecker Phenolic supporting a DW625 - for several years now, with no problems?

They also make an ally one too.

Rod

marcros":jn1dhu0i said:
Could you not have a plate made to size from some auminium- it probably wouldnt be as expensive as you think. I priced one up from a local fabricators, made from 2 sheets of 3mm aluminium, and for a 1off they wanted about £40, including drilling, milling and 3 inserts. That was about 300x200mm IIRC. Even if it was double that, if it saved you having to make a new table, it would be worth doing.

:lol: Sorry - not doing any more -well this year anyway. Although might be tempted to do another batch of say 10, but only in either steel or aluminium, as I have another order (of something else) for the laser cutters\machine shop.

Anyone interested?

Dibs

Dibs-h":3f0jdnro said:
might be tempted to do another batch of say 10, but only in either steel or aluminium, as I have another order (of something else) for the laser cutters\machine shop.

Anyone interested?

Dibs
You betcha.

Another sufferer from Phenolic Sag.

PS Can I pay you now? That way Santander might just get the payment to you on time, this time. :)

Dibs-h":kx8kerlp said:
marcros":kx8kerlp said:

:lol: Sorry - not doing any more -well this year anyway. Although might be tempted to do another batch of say 10, but only in either steel or aluminium, as I have another order (of something else) for the laser cutters\machine shop.

Anyone interested?

Dibs

Yes, I would be interested.

studders":29fi8o49 said:
Dibs-h":29fi8o49 said:
might be tempted to do another batch of say 10, but only in either steel or aluminium, as I have another order (of something else) for the laser cutters\machine shop.

Anyone interested?

Dibs
You betcha.

Another sufferer from Phenolic Sag.

PS Can I pay you now? That way Santander might just get the payment to you on time, this time. :)

marcros":29fi8o49 said:
Yes, I would be interested.

Shall we start a new thread in the Jigs & Tips forum?

Dibs

I've noticed a little bit of sag with my phenolic plate and the T11. I'm going to be buiding a new table later on and intend to use the alumimium plate from Axminster which I understand is much better. I'v kept the old one though as I can pick off the dimensions to drill the hole for the T11 'through the table' lifter - Rob

woodbloke":34jh5sku said:
I've noticed a little bit of sag with my phenolic plate and the T11. I'm going to be buiding a new table later on and intend to use the alumimium plate from Axminster which I understand is much better. I'v kept the old one though as I can pick off the dimensions to drill the hole for the T11 'through the table' lifter - Rob

I've still got some actual-size drawings somewhere (PDF or Corel Draw to A3 paper), if useful (there are dimensions with the T11 instructions).

From memory, Trend say 20mm for the hole. I used 17.5 or 18mm as it's too close to one lead-on pin hole. That's fine for the handled-socket Trend supply, but too narrow for my 3/8" and 1/2" drive sets, so no "motorised" lift until I've enlarged it slightly :-(

You could rotate the router 180 degrees underneath, but that puts the speed control on the wrong side of the table, so you can't see it, and the fence will block access to the lifter bolt head. I should've tried just twisting the router a bit: that would be the best solution.

(homer) D'oh!

E.

Back