Sagar Overhead Router Collet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyD

Established Member
Reaction score
Just getting around to having a go with the sagar overhead router i acquired from mattty a while ago.

The machine solid cast construction and everything mechanically working well

sagar-01765x1024.jpg

The problem is how to hold a cutter in the nut.

sagar-041024x765.jpg

The previous owner (not mattty) had just put a new style collet in the machine and was using it like that or it was just put there to sell it. The collet i believe is an er32 one and i dont think would have been supplied with the machine.

I expect the original collet would have snapped into the ring somehow. You cant get the collet shown in the pics and a cutter in the machine and centered.

sagar-031024x765.jpg

sagar-021024x765.jpg

Anyone with any advice on how to get the machine useable and what type of collet could fit the nut would be appreciated. Another thing i thought of was to get a new nut machined that would take modern collets but i dont know if thats feasible or not?

Hi Jonny

I don't know any thing about this machine but used a Wadkin LS router for many years. The collet and/nut were very similar to this. The collet fitted snugly into the machine and all the nut did was tighten the collet down, it was always separate as shown here. I would have thought that, if it goes together properly and the collet grips the shank of the cutter properly when the nut is tightened then it's ok? If not then contact one of the machinery supplies places for more info, Daltons in Nottingham or Google Wadkin, although it isn't Wadkin you'd be dealing with of course but spares are available, I'll warn you now though, collets are not cheap!!

HTH

Richard

jonny
I never seen a Sagar pin. Nice size that one. I can't help with the collect but would add to the others that wadkin is were i would look.

the best info I have run into is the Wadkin UX leaflet on jigs and fixtures. there is some stuff on the collect that may be useful. A must read for any pin owner.

http://www.rjmachinery.co.uk/manuals-fi ... 20JIGS.pdf

jack
English machines

Thanks guys it looks like the wadkin one may well fit ill have a ring round tomorrow. I took a few bits apart today and have removed the shaft from the machine and discovered the bearings aren't quite as good as they should be. The motor and drive which is a large flat belt pulley run whisper quiet with the belt removed so the bearings in the motor are good .The bearings are greased would the consensus be to go for sealed bearings for replacements or replace like for like?

Cheers

Jon

JonnyD":3iv7rkeu said:
Thanks guys it looks like the wadkin one may well fit ill have a ring round tomorrow. I took a few bits apart today and have removed the shaft from the machine and discovered the bearings aren't quite as good as they should be. The motor and drive which is a large flat belt pulley run whisper quiet with the belt removed so the bearings in the motor are good .The bearings are greased would the consensus be to go for sealed bearings for replacements or replace like for like?

Cheers

Jon

Replace like for like, and make sure the lube system in good shape. Sealed bearings may have too much resistance (from friction on the seals). Buy good bearings, not Chinese bargains. Those will be big bearings, and at that speed cheap bearings won't last.

Kirk

Hi Jonny

I'd be tempted to replace like for like but then I'm not familiar with your exact machine. The bearings on our old LS were a special type which needed oiling each day before use. They needed changing about every ten years for us, I guess we were fairly heavy users! If Wadkin replaced the bearings 'properly' then they'd set you back about £1000 but we had a machinery engineer that would do it for about half that and he used to do a pretty good job.

The big problem with the LS is that you can't test the bearings to make sure they are properly fitted, so if they aren't fitted properly and you fire it up at 18,000 rpm (that's slow!) they can be knackered before you've even used it!

HTH

Richard

I may be a bit slow on the uptake here for you, but i have an example of the same machine here, though mine is a little later; a Sagar 'AGJ' Light High Speed Router. Have you been able to make use of it yet? I could provide dimensions of what seems to me like the correct collet that i have for it, though i expect you have already found a solution. The motor end of my machine has been altered a little, i wonder if you might be able to photograph the motor and drive pulley, and tell me what size the motor pulley is on your machine?

- sion

Back