SAFETY WITH PIC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Mikita-006.jpg

Got the photo at last so you can see what I'm talking about.

Waka

Scary stuff - glad you're OK.

I guess if anything is going to fail, it's more likely to do so under load or vibration when the machine is running. Good idea to check for fractures regularly.

Why not contact Makita UK. I'm sure they'd take it seriously as a safety issue and who knows even replace it FOC . Regardless of the age, it could have been a lot more serious had it hit you.

Ike

Waka,

Gosh. :shock: You were lucky, mate. Very lucky. Yet another thing to try to remember to check before burning the old electrons, eh? I'm gonna need a bigger bit of paper... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Glad to hear it missed you Waka. Just shows that a good reputation does not always ensure decent quality.

I would contact Makita too. Fitness for purpose and of a reasonable quality might not cut it (pardon the pun) after 7 years but a little good will?

Tony,

Just shows that a good reputation does not always ensure decent quality.

A little unfair I feel to Makita. It's more probably a very rare defect, statistically possible even with strict quality control. And I would also suggest that the quality of Makita's industrial range are right up there with the best of them.

Ike

I've been in touch with Makita and explained what happened, they have asked me to send off the broken sub fence so they can try and determine what the casue was.

On the whole I think that Makita are a top quality tool manufacturer and as I've said the saw has dohne a lot of damage to wood over the years. Myself I think its just ware and tear due to constant vibration, but I'll let the experts decide and keep you all informed of the outcome.

have to say I had to resort to the hand tools yesterday (good job I bought the LN saws) and I must admit it was very satisfying even if my mitres weren't perfect. Lot of practice in that area I think.

Waka

ike":3cdz61ke said:
Tony,

Just shows that a good reputation does not always ensure decent quality.

A little unfair I feel to Makita. It's more probably a very rare defect, statistically possible even with strict quality control. And I would also suggest that the quality of Makita's industrial range are right up there with the best of them.

Ike

Ike

I carefully worded it to be fair, hence 'not always'. Still, 7 years is not bad :wink:

I have used Makita kit for years in industry and found it generally satisfactory but would probably never buy any for my own use.

Back