Safety reading glasses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Many, many years ago I bought a pair of safety specs with a 1 Dioptre power, from a bloke with a stand at the Newark show. I have no idea of the brand, but although they were expensive, they have been brilliant and I have absolutely no regrets about having splashed the cash.

But they are getting old and so am I. They are scratched and I need 2D these days.

I've just taken delivery of two pairs of Bolle. I was expecting 2D and 2.5D lenses, and perhaps I should have read the small print first (but... :) ), but instead, they are plain except for a tiny area, like bi-focals, at the bottom.

Now maybe I'm rushing to judgment, as I'm working one-eyed at the mo, having lost a contact lens outside in the wind a couple of days ago (mine are bespoke and expensive, so I don't keep a spare), but my first reaction is that they are not at all what I want. Even if I close my dodgy eye (even dodgier eye?) I can't see what I want, where I want it.

So, does anyone have any recs for a safety spec that has the whole lens with a 2D power?

I do hope so.

Specsavers do saftey glasses to your prescription, they are expensive tho and you need to go in to see about them as they are not usually kept out on display

I bought a pair of the Axminster ones a couple of weeks ago - same problem exactly, a little bit at the bottom to correct vision, the rest just plain glass. I either had to tip my head back to see the work or hold the work by my belly and peer out the bottom. Took them back for a refund before I even tried working with them.

The full-lens safety glasses are available at almost all German and Italian hardware stores, so I don't know why they aren't available in the UK. The last pair I bought from the Bauhaus in Mannheim was +2 power at about €35. They are scratch resistant, and I have banged them around plenty.

CHJ":1locypj2 said:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/voltX-Constructor-READERS-Dioptre-certified/dp/B013EHUKZA?th=1

ha ha, like how you have to look like Joe90 if you need more than +2 diopter (hammer)

Unless you click on the constructor clear button.

Pete

which only goes up to +2. just tried to buy them for use on small marquetry with the ex30. cant get the snazzy ones at the higher magnification

They arrived today.
I've not yet used them in anger as I can't see very well at the moment, but I have put them on, they seem comfortable enough and the lens is the full area (with the bits at the sides being plain, no prescription).
I'm pretty sure that they will be exactly what I was looking for, so I'm happy to rec them.

I see you've already bought some new glasses but if you have a normal pair of backup glasses I use these safety goggles which fit over my regular glasses.

Uvex Goggles

They're cheap and work well imo.
Could be useful as a backup plan?

-Neil

Thanks Neil. That may well be helpful to someone else, but not me, I'm afraid.
I've had two cornea grafts (please make sure that you tell your relatives you are happy to have your bits recycled when you no longer need them :) ). My eyes are a very strange shape and work well only when I can wear my contact lenses. I lost one last week. I was outside, it fell out and it was windy. I never found it.
They are made bespoke for me. I wish I could just buy a replacement over the counter at Boots but I can't. There is a Little Elf in Darkest Kent who makes them for me, but it takes time. A week or two.
So good vision with contact lenses (but I need reading glasses for close-up), useful but not great vision with spectacles, artistically defocused vision with nothing.
Not for me, but thank you for the constructive contribution to the thread.

Back