Safety mask for general woodworking/finishing chemicals etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanA

Established Member
Reaction score
In the past I've always just worn a simple dust mask whenever I use chemicals/substances etc. that I'm not familiar with but as I'm starting to use a wider range of chemicals for finishing or restoration more frequently I'm starting to think I need to be a bit more careful about what I'm inhaling and make sure my protection is actually protecting me.

I've had a bit of a look at masks and the 3M 6000 series seem popular and affordable but I'm completely stumped by the various filters/cartridges available. I'm not sure what gases/vapours I need to be protecting myself from, or if they are organic or inorganic etc.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what sort of cartridge I should be buying?

It's primarily the chemicals I use in finishing or restoring old tools that I'm concerned about (some of these come with lots of threatening warning messages about high VOC content and advice lines such as 'do not breath.') but if possible I'd also like something multi-purpose that I can use to keep out wood-dust.

Thanks in advance,

I have a 3M 6900 (currently with particulate filters) and find it a revelation to use. So I can wholeheartedly recommend it.
With respect to your vapour filter question, I have recently (this past weekend, in fact) ordered some nitrocellulose lacquer rattle cans and was advised (by the seller, a guitar repair/finishing chap) to purchase the A2 gas&vapour cartridges (3M 6055). The 'bay was cheapest.

Cheers,
Adam S

Back