Safety advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I only wear gloves when handling rough sawn timber and never when actually machining. I would far rather a splinter than getting a glove caught in something.
I also wear gloves when applying had rubbed finishes
Ian

I've never felt the need to wear gloves. There is a danger of a piece of fabric getting pulled into the spinning parts.

Is there a particular job/task that you want do? Is it for extra grip? Sanders apply quite a force to the wood. I always want to keep my fingers as far away as possible.

Depends what type of gloves, I would never use rigger type gloves for anything to do with machine work. I use easygrip gloves for everything. Not the clumsy orange coated ones but the tight ones which have a light coating of grippy finish.

Would never use gloves of any sort where there is the chance of them getting caught or pulling your hand/fingers into a machine.

Even nitrile gloves can still pull your hand to a machine if they get caught.

Same as the others said. Gloves increase the risk of getting pulled in to the machine. In fact loose clothing and long hair or beards need to be taken care off.
Rings, bracelets and watches too. There are plenty of gruesome pictures on line to show when humans interact with machines the wrong way it is usually the human that ends up worse off. Follow the old rule and engage the brain before switching on the machine.
Regards
John

Thanks all.
I feel stronger now to say something.
Watched a person being told(strongly) to wear gloves whilst using a sanding belt/linisher.
He ended up wearing the rubber coated "Brickie" type gloves.
I was always told NEVER never wear gloves when working with a bench grinder, the wheel will take off a bit of skin, gloves will catch and pull your hand into the rotation.....

Bod

25 years ago I removed a glove containing 2 fingers from the hoist drum of a crane in the steel plant where I worked. The owner had caught the glove on a splinter in the hoist rope and it had pulled it it. Without the glove he would have had a nasty cut but would still have all his fingers

Back