Safest way to rip boards in half?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there's any real issue with the rip and flip method. I have done loads of these cuts with the riving knife set below the top of the blade. Never had any binding or kickback. Push lightly and straight and don't really jam it into the fence especially for the last 6 inches to part the two. If you are wary of straining your saws motor, you could do it incrementally too - i.e, first cut 40mm, flip, raise blade full height, cut again, flip.
I wouldn't attempt it on sapele, walnut or iroko as chances are the two halves would go banana shaped - in which case I'd just thickness it down.

There are many safety risks in this operation, even with a machine with the capacity, when you can't see the blade you cannot be sure what is going on.
In my experience you cannot calculate what you lose in the re saw, certainly more than your minimum kerf.
Save your 20mm stock for future use.

Good better best, never let it rest, 'till your good is better, and your better best.

Back