Safari 'funny'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently Safari has been playing up and crashing occasionally. What highlights the issue is that I have both browsers open usually but favour Chrome. I get so used to sticking search terms into Chrome's address bar that I end up doing the same with Safari...which gets unhappy. For example, if I enter http://www.becj into safari's address bar then I always get the spinning beachball of death followed by a crash.

I'm on version 5.0.5 (6533.21.1). Done the usual things like resetting Safari, Repairing Permissions. I've even logged in using my test account and Safari misbehaves there as well. So that to my mind, rules out preference files (the usual culprits).

If anyone with this build could try typing http://www.becj into the address bar and let me know if Safari crashes, I'd be grateful. Sod's Law says that it won't crash and that it's my system :cry:

Mac, obviously :wink:

EDIT: Just tried typing in a non-URL such as Test Message and it crashes...so it doesn't seem to like non-web addresses.

Hi Roger,

Same thing happend to me Roger and 5.1.2 cured it as well. Also solved a problem I've been having with the embedded video player on the BBC so thanks for the heads up.

Out of interest are you on Lion or Snow leopard? - not sure if it is worth the upgrade.

Cheers

Andy

dedee":2gi503xp said:
Hi Roger,

Same thing happend to me Roger and 5.1.2 cured it as well. Also solved a problem I've been having with the embedded video player on the BBC so thanks for the heads up.

Out of interest are you on Lion or Snow leopard? - not sure if it is worth the upgrade.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy...I'm not sure when 5.1.2 came out as Software Update never picked up on it.

Lion? No...there are some very nifty features on it..such as the ability t virtually rebuild itself if it all goes pear-shaped...I think I alluded to that in one of our threads. I have too many legacy programs that won;t run on SL. I do know that I could partition my drive up and have SL in one partition and Lion in another but not really got any further than that.

Value for money...it is outstandingly good....compare/contrast with Moft.

I dont think that I saw 5.1.2 on software update either. I'll give Lion a miss for the time being. I only upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard when I had to replace the iMac. I'll probably wait until the hardware fails again.

Cheers

Andy

I've had no problems with Safari though I am running 5.1.2 which must have upgraded without me bothering to take notice?

I upgraded to Lion a couple of weeks ago whilst staying at my daughters - my broadband at home would have taken days!

The only problems I've noticed was that my old version of VM Fusion no longer worked and I experienced the well publicised problems with Photo Stream!

Photo Stream is switched off until I need it and I bought VMF 4 for £29 from Amazon - so that is resolved. All my Windows stuff was intact.

Rod

Another thing to watch with Lion is that it does an internal back-up unless you off-load to Time Machine.
Mine had backed up 39GBs in a couple of weeks!
It can be disabled though.

Rod

Being as MS Office 2004 for Mac will not work with Lion I'll stick with Snow Leopard. Forking out for Lion and upgrading MS office is just not worth the benefits. Although I have my head in the clouds most of the time, I think that I can do without I-Cloud and most of the other Lion features seemed geared to Mac Books and / or trackpads.

Cheers

Andy

You could partition your Mac but to be honest, I think I'd be doing my head in keep swapping back and forth each time I wanted to use Word! Mind you, Pages usually opens Word documents.

On a slight off-topic point, I discovered something rather useful about Spotlight. If you have want to do a simple calculation, just enter it into Spotlight and it automatically recognises that you want to do sums and gives you the answer! Seems to understand brackets as well. Saves going into the desktop to use the calculator.

Clever.

RogerS":ckktnom8 said:
Saves going into the desktop to use the calculator.

I normally use Widgets if I want a calculator. But being able to write simple equations in spotlight might came in handy.

Cheers

Andy

Latest posts

Back