SAD NEWS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

As many of you will know, Pete Martin, Good Woodworking's Deputy Editor, was
diagnosed with cancer in January. For the last nine months he has fought the
most dignified battle with the disease, but on Friday afternoon he died
peacefully surrounded by his family at a hospice near Bath.

Pete's contribution to the magazine was enormous. His passion, skills and
and desire to help touched so very many woodworkers. He should not be
forgotten.

Pete's funeral is being held at 12 noon on Saturday 8th October at Bath
Crematorium. He has asked people not to wear black, but to dress bright or
white. He doesn't want floral tributes, just a single flower if you want.
Messages of support can be sent to his wife Liz Elders at 12 Catharine
Place, Bath BA1 2PR.

Our thoughts are with Liz and Pete's children Joby and Keren.

Phil, Andy, Jan, Ollie and Nick

I was shocked to hear of Pete's illness and when I last met him his brave and positive attitude impressed me very deeply. He will be sorely missed. My deepest sympathies go to his family.
Philly

Sad news indeed. He was a real personality whose tough frown when being presented with sales patter caused many a BriMarc presentation to falter.

His pleasantly cynical, and yet happy personality will be missed. I spoke to him many times covering for his colleagues who were inevitably away from their desks. You were never a nanosecond away from a sharp one liner.

We will miss you Pete.

Martin and all from BriMarc

Thats very sad. My thoughts are with his family.

Adam

Pete was my first contact with the folks at GWW; he was very patient and helpful when I asked him a classic foolish newbie woodworker question, for which I will always be grateful. It won't be the same without him. My thoughts are with his family and GWW colleagues.

Alf

My memories are of a huge bloke (he makes me look skinny)with a personality to match. And red painted toenails. When ever he came to photograph my furniture, the first thing he would do would be to find all the flaws with glee, then proceed to photograph the piece to show it off to its absolute best. I was always astonished how well it looked on the printed page.

He was a perfectionist, and more than once I've found myself holding up a big white card, standing on one leg, leaning at some uncomfortable and impossible angle just out of camerashot, so that Pete gould get just the shot he wanted.

He was intelligent and knowledgable about all sorts of things. Whenever I said "Pete, we're going on holiday to Backofbeyond", he would always come up with a "Oh, you must get to see the Suchandsuch, it's marvellous". He'd been everywhere and seen everything, I think.

I shall miss him dearly.

Steve

Pete was my first contact with GWW and although we did not have a lot of contact thereafter, he was very helpful and encouraging to me. My condolences go to his family and colleagues who will miss him greatly.

So sad indeed…..he always had an answer for everything…..I loved to challenge him for problem solving but somehow he always managed a solution….My memories are the long black painted pinkie fingernail…..a through back from his hippie days I assumed.
He was nice guy

Thoughts are with his family

Ian

That is very sad news, he will be missed by many. My thoughts are with hiss family

I did not know of his illness. This is terribly sad news. I enjoyed his posts here and his work for GWW. My deepest condolences go out to his family.
Gidon

That is sad news and I feel for those who are left behind. But it seems from what Andy said that Pete would not want us to be sad but to crack on with life and enjoy it for all it is worth. He did, by the sound of what you guys have said.
My commiserations, anyway, and best wishes to all the family.

SF

Latest posts

Back