Sad news from MAC timbers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been over to Lower Bennefield today to see Mike and Rene today, and it is with great sadness that I have been asked to let everyone on the forum to know that after a long battle with the legal system, they are being forced to leave their home and workshop.
They would like to thank all of the forum members for their past support, and encouragement.
There will be a final open day on the 22nd of march.
There are more details on the website here http://www.mactimbers.co.uk/.

Sad times. Been awhile since my last visit, always a pleasurable place to spend time and Mike was a great guy on so many levels.

A real shame. I thought that they had been making some progress on the planning front. Lovely folks. They must be so disappointed, angry and weary.

That's really sad news. Such a lovely couple, running a useful business, but the bad guys have won. I don't know the whole story but my understanding is that a personal grudge was being pursued, using the planning system as a smokescreen.

Sad news, I wrote to the council as requested on this forum, shame to see the NIMBYs win.

It's a sad world we live in when somebody is forced from their home in this way. Unfortunately, given my own experience of local government (here in Gloucester, we've all recently been royally shafted by the government regarding the building of an industrial incinerator. ) I think this is just how things work.

Bar-stewards.

Just the way of life these days, sad I know.

We had a new posh estate built next to our small airport, a load of gerries moved in from around the country and then started a petition to get the airport flights and use restricted, to such an extent that they finally managed to get it closed through being unviable.

That is truly dreadful news. I don't know Mike and Rene well, but have been over there a couple of times, just as a customer, and, from what I know of the situation, it is worse than "just" the business being closed down and the loss of a beautiful home. They are lovely people and I very much hope they can salvage something from the mess, and can hold close to their hearts the knowledge that they have a lot of good friends in the woodworking community.

Duncan

Really sad news! It had seemed hopeful and that they were going to win through. I will really miss popping up there for a bit of quarter sawn and a bit of a chat. After such a long and expensive struggle I wonder whether they'll see this as the end and time to retire or look for somewhere else to setup.
Best wished to the two of them whatever they decide to do.
Simon

I keep thinking there must be a way to help these guys beyond attending their last open day with bulging wallets?

Those of us that have visited Mikes yard know he has a wealth of fine timber and there are always people on the Forum looking for good native hardwoods. Appreciate the carriage thing is an issue with large bulky bits of timber but if anybody has any suggestions it would be great if we could reward Mike and Renee for all their kindness to so many of us over the years and get some of his stock in the hands of forum members.

Does anybody have any ideas??????

Did anyone make it to the open day? My plans were thwarted at the last minute. Would be good to see any photos or news from the last open day there.

I went up there for the first time after reading about them on this thread. Really nice place they had there and a real shame but I think they've found somewhere to move to near Bedford or in Bedfordshire. I only overheard conversations so don't quote me on any of this. I think the current result of the dispute means they have to clear everything by the end of April so they're currently trying to get an extension. They've got quite a lot of timber to move in a short time if they don't. I didn't fully understand the dispute itself so I won't comment on that other than to say it seemed like a family one rather than any external influence.

I went up to look for some oak but I think someone had been up the week before and picked up quite a lot of it. The stuff stickered and airing out back was far too big for me and my Yaris. :) Quite a sight though and hopefully once they get set up again I'll try and visit. I've got some snaps on my phone but need to resize them as they're too big to post right now. Will try that tonight or over the weekend.

thanks for the update. Well that would be much closer to me!!

I really hope they get sorted and back on their feet.

Did you squeeze anything into the yaris? even just a tiny board? Was there much of a turnout?

Back