Sad news for Woodturning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have learnt today of the sad passing of Mark Baker the Editor of the woodturning magazine which he did for many years. I personally have had quite a few phone call with him and spoken to him at length at different venues.

A very sad day for his family and friends as well as the woodturning community at large he will certainly be missed

Our threads have appeared at the same time Derek I wonder if a mod could delete mine.
It is indeed incredibly sad for such a young man.

This is such sad news. My thoughts are with his family and friends. Mark was a great ambassador for woodturning and gave so freely with his advice and expertise. He will be greatly missed.

This is awful news, Mark was a genuinely lovely guy. We'd known each other for the last 25 years through shows and work and still to this day I have a lovely large Oak Burr bowl in my lounge that he made and posted out to me after a show many moons ago in return for a favour - I never expected him to do that despite him saying he would. I was so pleased with it when it turned up out the blue.

We shared a 3 hr car journey together in Ireland quite a few years back and it was interesting to just speak about all sorts, he was a great knowledgeable bloke with a real genuine caring side.

Just so sad to hear this and my thoughts are with his family and friends. Rest in peace Mark.

I also met Mark at lots of show , Also locked horns with him some years ago re no mention of PPE in the mag , All turners who were photographed for the mag had no eye protection or dust masks , Mark explained that he needed to show the turners face , Some time later the mag changed for the better and now for the last year or so shows everyone wearing PPE , I allways read Marks editor piece first in every mag , Great articals on all subjects and also included some personal home stuf , His worksop mods , Trips around the world All good stuff ,He was allways so enthusiastic and a excellent woodturner with lovely designs , Mark You are missed allready , Thanks for everything , My thought are with your family at the very sad time , RIP the man .

Not only a sad event for the wood turning world specifically but for his missing enthusiasm for encouraging folks of all abilities to advance their skills and most of all enjoy their participation.

Very sad news. Saw mark demonstrate a number of times and learned a lot from him. RIP

That is really, really sad news. Although I never had the privilege of meeting Mark, I read his articles and have several of his clear and informative books.
A huge loss to woodturning and more importantly, too his family. My thoughts are with them.

Latest posts

Back