Sad news for geeks over a certain age...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Ritchie

If you didn't know: Kernigan and Ritchie published the original book on "C" programming language, and Ritchie was one of the lead developers of the UNIX operating system, from both of which came most of the software that enables today's internet to function.

Arguably far more influential than Steve Jobs (Apple currently uses UNIX for their PCs).

Regards,

E.

Indeed, we are seeing the passing of a highly influential generation where the pace of change increased almost beyond measure.

Significantly more influential then Steve Jobs could haven't ever possibly been. Everything in computers today is form the seeds planted by these very special people working at Bell Labs.

They, miraculously, got it right. Here we are 40 years later and it's still pertinent (dominant even.)

So much of my life, and what I have done for the last 20+ years is down to Ritchie, Kernighan, Thompson et al.

There is, in fact, a copy of the 2nd edition of Kernighan and Ritchie on my bookshelf as I write this. DOn't count myself a geek, though - it was for work use only! Good book, though - clear and very concise.

Latest posts

Back