Sad day - Lidl drill RIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Likely with trigger locking feature which gets stuck on occasionally, dodgy repair to the gland sheath and ergonomics to break your hand, yet it's still the dogs balls!
The little boxy one? I worked at Greeves Invercar in "56-57, and the EG2CH drill was almost indestructable. Spares for them are still available today.

I use some French-made adapters, which enable me to connect my large collection of Parkside batteries to various other makes of tools. They also do "vice-versa versions" but I've found Parkside batteries to be pretty long-lasting and the 3-year warranty makes them a great alternative to the overpriced OEM versions..
Cool. I was thinking about this. Are these adapters widely available? Who makes them?

It's very likely to be a brushless motor. They have electronic commutation using an ESC circuit. If you are lucky you'll be able to disconnect the motor from its ESC and test it using another one (you can actually buy ESC units for testing on eBay). Failed motor is pretty unlikely and "cactus" if it is, but a failed ESC is potentially fixable if you know what you're doing. Or you could possibly get a replacement ESC which will fit inside the drill, or at least be able to use the motor for something else. Worst case scenario is it's a sealed lump and you can't get at anything.

But before you do any of that, see if power is getting from battery to switch, switch to electronics, electronics to motor - also test the 0v return path which is also possible (though unlikely) to fail - it could prove to be just a wire that's broken off from all the vibration.

If it is actually a brushed motor, it's most likely the brushes have worn out. I've had this with 2 power tools last week, worked intermittently for a bit, then packed in altogether. Easy enough to replace and cheap if you get generic ones.

I had a Wolf drill briefly in the '90's. Got it for £5 from a s/h shop, absolutely brilliant. Very sad to have parted company with it.

It's very likely to be a brushless motor. They have electronic commutation using an ESC circuit. If you are lucky you'll be able to disconnect the motor from its ESC and test it using another one (you can actually buy ESC units for testing on eBay). Failed motor is pretty unlikely and "cactus" if it is, but a failed ESC is potentially fixable if you know what you're doing. Or you could possibly get a replacement ESC which will fit inside the drill, or at least be able to use the motor for something else. Worst case scenario is it's a sealed lump and you can't get at anything.

But before you do any of that, see if power is getting from battery to switch, switch to electronics, electronics to motor - also test the 0v return path which is also possible (though unlikely) to fail - it could prove to be just a wire that's broken off from all the vibration.

If it is actually a brushed motor, it's most likely the brushes have worn out. I've had this with 2 power tools last week, worked intermittently for a bit, then packed in altogether. Easy enough to replace and cheap if you get generic ones.

I had a Wolf drill briefly in the '90's. Got it for £5 from a s/h shop, absolutely brilliant. Very sad to have parted company with it.
I’d love to be able to do all that but most is beyond my skill set. Also Mrs G will undoubtedly say: ‘why are you wasting your time with that old drill? Get on with the main job - I’m still waiting for you to finish it. 😉

I think that some people will say that they are rubbish all I can say is that I purchased 3 18v tools from lidl about 5 years ago they have all had very serious diy use and they all still work well and the batteries still hold a good charge so we must all make our own minds up about what is happening.

Back