Sad day - Lidl drill RIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenfield2

Established Member
Reaction score
It was a sad day yesterday, my Lidl Parkside 20v drill finally expired.

I’ve owned it for upwards of four years and used it relentlessly pretty much every day drilling timber and steel up to 10mm thick. It never faltered. I couldn’t have asked more from a drill. Especially one costing IIRC about thirty quid.

With a new drill needed urgently and no Lidl nearby I had to be a traitor and opt for an Aldi Ferrex. More expensive than my old Parkside but still half the price of anything at Screwfix.

But now I have two perfectly good Lidl batteries - time to crack open the old drill and see if I can fix it 🤣

Attachments

• 4AC3FD3F-8445-40BB-AB67-30B7C9164EC1.jpeg
    4AC3FD3F-8445-40BB-AB67-30B7C9164EC1.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 0
Don't know why it "expired", but full marks to "open it up" and see what has happened.
Usually it's just the motor has "died" and that you can check with a multimeter.
If the motor winding is "cactus", bad luck.
If it is a brush motor, simply replace the brushes ( and possibly clean up the commutator).
Just because something stops, doesn't mean you throw it away ( which is what they want you to do )
Let us know what you find.

Don't know why it "expired", but full marks to "open it up" and see what has happened.
Usually it's just the motor has "died" and that you can check with a multimeter.
If the motor winding is "cactus", bad luck.
If it is a brush motor, simply replace the brushes ( and possibly clean up the commutator).
Just because something stops, doesn't mean you throw it away ( which is what they want you to do )
Let us know what you find.
What's a 'cactus', sawtooth?

the aldi/ferrex are good if you are looking for a replacement, they still had some stock in yesterday in my local one, or maybe it's time to get a festool? 😜

Some time in the 1950s my Dad bought a Wolf drill with a 1/4" chuck. It came off a production line and was sold as pretty nearly worn out - still using it - still using 1/2 " drill bits with turned down shanks, just saying.
Likely with trigger locking feature which gets stuck on occasionally, dodgy repair to the gland sheath and ergonomics to break your hand, yet it's still the dogs balls!

Likely with trigger locking feature which gets stuck on occasionally, dodgy repair to the gland sheath and ergonomics to break your hand, yet it's still the dogs balls!
Absolutely 4 out of 4, just missing the chipped baker-lite plug with a hole my fingers would go through but Dads didn't. First time they went on holiday without me I splashed out on a pack of 12 MK plugs and chucked all the wreckage away.

It was a sad day yesterday, my Lidl Parkside 20v drill finally expired.

I’ve owned it for upwards of four years and used it relentlessly pretty much every day drilling timber and steel up to 10mm thick. It never faltered. I couldn’t have asked more from a drill. Especially one costing IIRC about thirty quid.

With a new drill needed urgently and no Lidl nearby I had to be a traitor and opt for an Aldi Ferrex. More expensive than my old Parkside but still half the price of anything at Screwfix.

But now I have two perfectly good Lidl batteries - time to crack open the old drill and see if I can fix it 🤣
I use some French-made adapters, which enable me to connect my large collection of Parkside batteries to various other makes of tools. They also do "vice-versa versions" but I've found Parkside batteries to be pretty long-lasting and the 3-year warranty makes them a great alternative to the overpriced OEM versions..

It's a new one for me. I used to work with an Australian, he would have said "rooted".
So would I , but thought it might offend some of the more gentile of members
That expression would be covered under " etc "

When things go really wrong you have been " fu**ed by the fickle finger of fate "
And when something is a total waste it is a "WAFTAM " - any guesses ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back