Sad but Happy Gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
With having to deal with the worst few weeks of my life (lost a parent) and having to clear the house i have been running to and from the local tip.

Yesterday whilst there and unloading a youngish lad came in with a van laden with old stair treads. He had 13off 1200mmx 220mm x 50mm thick solid teak treads. He said he was renovating his house and didnt like the staircase and had pulled it out and replaced it with white pine and mdf treads. Unbelievable
Its amazing the strength and speed you seem to aquire when adrenalin kicks in
I have never unloaded a car so quickly then reloaded straight into mine,the lad even gave me a hand.

I think even my mother was smiling on me yesterday

Ian

Ian

Comiserations in your very sad loss and the truly awful job of clearing out their belongings :cry:

Nice find on the stair treads and well done for getting them out!!

Yes, commiserations Ian. Bereavement is always a tough time. But a nice score on the teak, and just goes to show that life always has it's ups as well as the downs.

Pete

Ian,

Very many condolences. What a ghastly time you must be having. :( I agree with Chris; the teak definitely turned up at the right time.

Cheers, Alf

Ian, Comiserations. Build something nice with the teak and you will always have a connection and good reason for remembrance.

Andy
(my own mother never got to see any of my woodwork)

Thanks all,

I built a Lutyens bench a few years ago and i really fancied doing Norms, the one i built was a bit small and i quite fancy doing the NYW version, it would certainly stand out from the others at the cemetery and what a good way to recycle the teak, plus it would probobly be a good project to break in the leigh FMT
I'll see how i feel later if i can be bothered going into the workshop, my motivation is very low at present but time will be a healer i'm sure.

many thanks for all the replies

Ian

My condolences Ian
it is always hard to lose someone. Give it time and the motivation will return then you can think of a tribute project. Nice synchronicity with the teak though its amazing how often things like that seem to happen.

take care

Drew

Ian

My deepest condolences.. I'm sure that irrespective of what you build, your mom would be proud of you. Don't feel so bad about your motivation; feeling in a slump is perfectly understandable given the circumstances. You'll know yourself when it's time to go back to the bench..

Hi Ian,

I just saw your sad posting and wanted to offer my sincere condolences. I lost my father in 1994 and know just how much it knocked the wind out of my sails. As you say, time is the required medicine to come to terms with your loss.

Funnily enough it was the kick-start to me doing woodworking as a hobby. I think in part it was a good excuse to disappear off by myself without appearing to be anti-social. My wife was carrying our son at the time and so I decided to make a changing unit/chest of drawers for his room-to-be as a labour of love. All from my own head, drawn on a single sheet of A4 in pencil, made entirely from pine and jointed with dowels, it was the first furniture piece I ever made.

Many hand tools were bought from Alan Holtham's shop in Cheshire (The Old Turnery stores in Nantwich maybe?) and I've still got all of those I bought from there - it was a great shop - is it still there now I wonder?

Anyway, great score on the teak and I'm looking forwards to seeing whatever you make from it. The NYW Lutyens bench would be a fantastic tribute to your mother and a wonderful way to recycle that teak. Good luck in your endeavors,

Lee

Back