Sabre 350 and 1/4" blades ... can't get guides right

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sru

Established Member
Reaction score
After any advice.

Running the Sabre 350 with 1/4" Tuff blade. All the advice on setup tells me the guide wheels need to be behind the teeth so these don't rub when the blade displaces side to side.

Only problem is that the runner on which the 3 guide wheels sit won't go far enough back because of the metal guide shield. Can anyone using this combo tell me how to achieve the right settings? Really puzzled newbie here.

I am running the blade just forward of the middle of the wheel itself.

Thanks,

Mike

You need one of these.
Saw Blade Stabilizer - Band Saw Stabilizer | Carter Products

As you have found you get to a point with narrow blades where the standard side bearing guides just wont adjust enough. The stabilizer is just a back bearing with a groove in it. If its a one of job then just take off the side bearings and take care cutting the curves that you dont push the blade off the back bearing. The stabilizer is not cheap but worth it if you will be using narrow blades a lot.
Regards
John

I wonder if anyone has made their own version of the Carter stabiliser?
Is there a cheap bearing race or any kind of hardened pipe suitable that can shrink fit over a regular standard bearing size thrust guide, by means of a candle?

Thanks
Tom

Another trick I use is to remove the side guides and replace with hardwood so that it covers the whole blade including the teeth. With the bandsaw running I move the wood side guide to touch the blade and the teeth cut out a small clearance groove. This gives you a tight fully supported blade and costs nothing. This is on a non sabre record bandsaw so may not be so easy on a sabre version.

Thank you, thought I was doing some newbie faux pas .. phew, not going nuts (well, more than usual).

That's odd - I've not got a 1/4" blade in mine right now, but have run one a few times in the past without any difficulty (perhaps I wasn't looking closely enough!).
I'll put the 1/4" back on when I have a moment to see if I can understand whats going on here.

Thank you.

The problem is this yellow shield. It stops the runner holding all the guides from going back further. I have asked the Carter people if they do a guide for the Sabre.

IMG_20201129_134145.jpg

I just had a look at my machine, and my best guess is that you need to run the blade further forward on the wheels so that it sits further forward between the guides.
I really can't imagine that you need to do any modifications, or add any extra gizmos to make it work. As I said I've run a 1/4" blade on mine a few times without problems. I should be able to find some time tomorrow to refit the 1/4" blade, and I'll try to post some pics of how its set up.

As I said I've run a 1/4" blade on mine a few times without problems. I should be able to find some time tomorrow to refit the 1/4" blade, and I'll try to post some pics of how its set up.

Thank you, that is very kind indeed.

Here you go, pic 1 showing tracking position, pic 2 showing blade and guides (and bit of curly cutting just to show it works!).

Attachments

• IMG_20201130_170058776[1].jpg
    IMG_20201130_170058776[1].jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20201130_201113296[1].jpg
    IMG_20201130_201113296[1].jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 36
Here you go, pic 1 showing tracking position, pic 2 showing blade and guides (and bit of curly cutting just to show it works!).

Thank you - I will have to revisit mine and see why I can't get the same result - noob alert I guess :) Really appreciate the time you took to do this.

I have the Carter stabilisers on my BS350 and it is a good bit of kit. Dont use it a lot now not making bandsaw boxes. Not cheap but always use it on 1/4" and thinner. I still had to cut the guard to fit it on mine.

Well, found the fix (though will probably order a Carter device). There is an adjustment for the yellow guard - it can be moved back. Did not see these bolts at the back - adjusting these gave enough clearance for the guides to be moved back. Thank you @eezageeza for the pics, helped identify the solution as your guard was so much closer. Probably wrecked the kerf of my 1/4" blade but seems ok.

Got to love this forum!

Attachments

• IMG_20201201_135827.jpg
    IMG_20201201_135827.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 12
Dont 4get they will charge you import duty on it unfortunately.
The ite is very helpful with dimensions to ensure you order the correct one 👍

Back