S I P WOOD LATHE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patmadug

Reaction score
Hi folks thinking of purchasing this lathe can someone provide information on it how they perform and so on thanks
Ian

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220501-070402_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220501-070402_Facebook.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20220501-070427_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220501-070427_Facebook.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 15
It is one of the clones of the Axminster m1000. I have the slightly smaller model and have found it to be excellent. What are you hoping to make?

They are capable of surprisingly large bowls using the swivel head providing they are firmly bolted or weighted down. I find the cone drive a decent compromise. Not as nice as a true DC variable speed, but much better than a set of fixed pulleys. Be gentle with the cones though if they stick - they are cast aluminium and very brittle.

Does it come with a chuck / faceplate? If you are buying a faceplate, be careful as due to the position of the motor, blanks will foul on it if they are not held out from the headstock. You may need to have a plywood spacer between the faceplate and the work piece. Also, see if it comes with an tool rest extension for bowl making with the head turned. I find this incredibly useful.

Very common lathe, Draper, Axi, and a big list of brands sell the same model.
If you youtube Harbor Freight lathe, you would find it's the same thing also,
but with a different thread pitch for a chuck on those.

I'm not a turner, so cannot say if it's good or not, I got mine fer years back for 180 pounds,
and seemed to be about the going rate for these as standard,
i.e face plate, tool rest, and shorter banjo component, morse taper pokey stick,
but not steb centre nor live centre.
Got this steb centre from a suggestion here, might edit and find, little over a tenner for MT1 spring loaded thing which suits say tool handles, I like it.
(Edit: found the company but the only one available is a Charnwood one which may be different,
I must check the size.
I haven't looked to see if mines the same, or if it's inflation or whatever)
https://taylorsmirfield.co.uk/
And the MT2 live centre is from the Far East from the bay, seems very good for 20 quid also.

A chuck would be lovely to get someday.
I thought it was a good basis of a lathe at this price with the cast iron bed, and looked better to me than other options of which there are few of (sub 200 quid on the used market)
should something break, then at least I have a good basis of a machine to make bits for it,

Parts available fairly cheaply, like pulleys which seem to be the Achilles heel of it regarding build quality, not touched mine and made note of Chas recommendation to lubricate and keep an eye of
the reeves drive pulleys for cleanliness.
Can't say if it's underpowered or not, as I'm not a turner.
I'd search Chas posts on his Axi coloured one.

vlcsnap-2022-05-05-15h36m19s948.png

Last edited:
Back