Ryobi ETS 1825 problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have posted this request in general woodworking but i think it would of been better placed here
My Ryobi ETS 1825 Table saw when i start up some times makes an awful chattering sound and the speed fluctuates slow and fast sometimes it settles down and runs normal as it doe's sometimes from the start , I have replaced the brushes and cleaned the rotor with wet and dry i scraped the insulation between the copper segments i dont know if i did it enough should it be slightly below the circumference of the rotor leaving a small air gap between the copper segments
or level with them , The saw is fitted with a soft start system could this unit be faulty causing the problem any help would be appreciated Thingybob

Cleaning the commutator with abrasive paper can embed particles in the copper and result in poor contact. However, you may have got away with it if the paper was very fine.

Yes, you can undercut the insulation between segments, as you say just below the copper.

It does sound like either a poor connection somewhere or the soft start unit. Check all connections and attempt to find a new soft start unit. The old one will be likely embedded in resin so repair not an option.

It may be possible to bypass the soft start, and deal with any tripping problems that may result, if you’re desperate to keep the saw going. I tend to avoid machines with brush motors for exactly this sort of reason - they live fast (and noisily) and die young.

Thanks Guineafowl will strip it down again and scrape out insulation i used it yesterday and it never did it once even though i stopped and started about 30 times might see if i can run it without soft start i did eourse one some time ago but the guy wanted £85 plus vat saw not worth that about 12 years old now Dave

I did find an old posting with the same problem but no answer it did show the starter box innerds and it shows the canister with the resin in as being the capasitor and the small circuit board must be the soft start unit

Thanks Guineafowl will strip it down again and scrape out insulation i used it yesterday and it never did it once even though i stopped and started about 30 times might see if i can run it without soft start i did eourse one some time ago but the guy wanted £85 plus vat saw not worth that about 12 years old now Dave
If the saw can work normally at times without excessive sparking of the brushes I wouldn’t bother undercutting the insulation between segments, unless it definitely feels proud.

my old Ryobi saw suffered similar probs...it cost almost as much for parts to fix as a new one....bought as a job lot......
Never buy Ryobi any more due to their throw away nature......
I consider Lidil/Aldi tools far superior......
Although now everything I have woodwrking (corded tools esp) is Hitachi.... even battery models.....I like Japanese tools....
as they fail where poss I replace with Milwaukee battery Fuel models.....
everything except my DeW combo chop saw and Hilti concrete drills.....

Back