Ryobi BT250ET 254mm Table saw riving knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallbloke

Reaction score
I have had this bench saw for a number of years and having recently had a timber damaging kickback I realised that the saw was not fitted with riving knife. As far as I can remember this saw was never suupplied with a riving knife or splitter. Clearly I need one! The blade slot is longer on the far side (opposite side to the operator) and the parts manual shows a splitter (probably as an optional extra). I plan to make one (unless of course I can find someone with a redundant machine). Can anyone offer any advice on the design/size/shape? I'm assuming that it needs to be equal to or very marginally less than the kerf width of the saw blade? I believe this saw, like a lot of these types of machine, was marketed under several different brands but the only one I'm aware of is the Delta 36-525.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_6069.JPG
    IMG_6069.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 20
I took this from the manual on my Bosch GTS10J:

When changing the saw blade, pay attention that the kerf width is not less than 2.3 mm and the blade body thickness not greater than 2.3 mm. Otherwise, there is danger that the riving knife (2.3 mm) becomes wedged in the workpiece.

this is a knife from rocker to give an idea of the shape

1606647389727.png

Rorton many thanks. Your riving knife looks curved - I rather thought they would always be flat in parallel with the blade or am I misinterpreting it?
Regards

Yes you are right! The photo gives the impression of curves in two axis - hence my confusion. I now understand what it looks like and how it can be fitted. I typically use a Freud 250mm 40 tooth blade which has a body of 1.8 and a kerf width of 2.8mm so I propose to make my Rivng knife between 2 & 2.5mm wide. One remaining question: I have seen them both with their highest point above the top of the blade and others (like the one in the Wiki article) where the top of the knife is about level with the top of the teeth. It would be good to understand the merits or disadvantages of taking it above the top of the blade?
Regards and thanks
Nigel

Back