Rutlands.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it the run up to Christmas or are Rutlands always 'out of stock'?
Just wanted one of their pocket hole jigs, and all bar the cheapest or most expensive flagged up, 'reserve your order now', and when would I get it I wonder?

Roy.

Sounds like I've got a long wait.
Anyone got pocket hole jig to sell?

Roy.

Blister":3pxv91yc said:
Looks like the 10% off and free post

MUST END every day :roll:

I was getting the same impression...

On one hand, a constant sale suggests that they're not moving stock fast enough.
On the other hand, lots of stuff out-of-stock suggests they're moving stock too fast!

Maybe they over-stretched on minority interest things and now their warehouse is full of stuff nobody wants to buy?

hm makes me wonder as I ordered a harness rig for working on site, was told that it was in stock. CC debitred today and was also told that I would get it next Thursday.
So, it will be interesting to see if it does arrive then.
I'll keep ppl here in the loop over this.

K

Which jig were you looking to buy, Roy?

I remember reading good things about both Axminster's own-brand and Rutlands' Dakota jigs (which do look identical) a few years ago. However, I've just literally, this very minute, payed for a Kreg R3 on eBay. Only £29.98 including postage.

I've been thinking about buying one for a while and could've done with one a few weeks ago... :roll: Strangely, the R3 isn't part of Rutlands' catalogue (Axminster do stock it) but, there are many positive things to read about it online, from both sides of the Atlantic. Not sure whether it comes with any screws (I know it doesn't come with a clamp) but, at least I'll have one soon. I can always get the screws when I actually need to use it... ;-)

I was looking at the Dakota models Olly, the kregs are bit pricey, looks as though I'd better check the Bay, if you've left me any! :lol:
Have you used one before at all? Some people don't like them 'cos the drilled piece of timber can slide as you tighten the screws.

Roy.

I ordered a block plane that was out of stock, only to be told I wouldn't get it until the end of March! I cancelled the order (they hadn't taken the money) and got one elsewhere, but it did cost me rather more.

They've had this 10% off and free shipping offer for at least the past 3 weekends, pity those who placed orders midweek not knowing they need only wait a few days.

I've not used any pocket hole jig before. :oops: With regards to the movement some people experience, clamping the joint should avoid that; both while drilling the holes and fitting the screws later. There are clamps available to help you 'assemble' a pocket screw joint (made by Rocker - Rutlands sell them but, they're not cheap).

I recently came across this tip though, while looking for opinions on various models of jigs:

pocketholeclamp2.jpg

There's also this idea, to "convert" the K3 jig almost in to a K4:

100_8460.jpg

Back on the subject of Rutlands... A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a hollow chisel (mortiser) sharpening set during one of their previous sales. It was listed as 'out of stock' but, the option was there to reserve one... Much to my delight, the complete package arrived two-days later! :cool:

I found when ordering a Dakota guide clamp in their sale a few months ago that it was in fact, the Progrip Guide clamp sold by Axminster for nearly the same price as in Rutlands 'sale'. Rutlands was slightly cheaper.

Given it's exactly the same clamp and even says 'Progrip' on the box, I'm not going to rush to use Rutlands again!! Dakota is just their way of adding ££ to the price in my opinion.

Sounds like a cash flow problem and that they only order from the manufacturers when they have enough back orders.

Roy.

jorgoz":2bou5d8o said:
I just ordered a QS 5 jack plane. Curious how it will go.

Hmmm, my impression is that QS adjusts their quality according to who they are supplying. I gain this impression from Workshop Heaven's past direct dialogs with QS that have seen changes in the design of their planes. Thus, I suspect the planes WH receive are different from those Rutlands receive which are probably different from the Wood River versions sold in the USA. I suspect Rutlands would go for the "base model" versions and so I've never been tempted to buy one from them. I'd be interested in your impressions of the QS No. 5 when you receive it.

Lowlife":3f7ngd5t said:
They've had this 10% off and free shipping offer for at least the past 3 weekends, pity those who placed orders midweek not knowing they need only wait a few days.

Fromey":3f7ngd5t said:
I wonder how long it will be before they start a perpetual closing down sale?

Well, today the 10%/free shipping offer is "extended until Friday", so we're almost there! ;-)

I can't really complain about any of the products I've had from them, or their service which is excellent, very fast turnarounds even at this busy time of year, and whilst some of their products are not quite as good as the same brands elsewhere this is reflected in the prices. The QS block plane I bought is definitely not as good as those sold by WH for instance, theirs is a more refined product, but it is considerably cheaper from Rutlands and still an extremely good plane, I'm very pleased with mine.

Whilst I've taken advantage of the 10% sale a couple of times recently I can't help feeling it's a bit deceitful doing it every weekend like this, rather like the well known sofa company who never seem to sell anything at full price.

Can't say I had a problem when I ordered clamps in their "sale". Good quality and a fast turn around from ordering. I always price check against other site's, and I can't complain about the quality of the clamps or price.

As it happens they were very much on the ball with my last order too - but nothing would induce me to order anything that wasn't in stock, and on the rare occasions when I do place an order, it always feels like a risk. Somewhere for the odd "oh, what the heck, I fancy that" kind of small purchase, but for reliability, elsewhere it is. They've got a lot of reputation to make up yet, as far as I'm concerned - higher prices but a perpetual 10% "sale" doesn't help with that much. :-|

Latest posts

Back