Rutlands.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As has been said before, Rutlands are fine if all goes to plan. It's when things go wrong that the problems usually start. On top of that their 'normal' price never actually is, with them or anyone else, so don't be misled.
That said, I have had some very good deals from them and have only had a delayed delivery once and a non delivery once.

This is my first dealing with Rutlands, and fortunately I am not in urgent need of delivery, so I'll have to wait and see.

Roy.

I ordered a bench grinder from Rutlands that was on offer on the first of November. Four weeks later there was no sign of it, so I emailed them, and they replied saying they were unable to supply it. However, two weeks later, they're still advertising the same deal so I've ordered another one! I've emailed them asking when they are expecting stock - but I fully expect my new order to be cancelled.

Seems a daft way to do business, it can only cause resentment I would have thought.

Roy.

Fromey":kwgluvpk said:
jorgoz":kwgluvpk said:
I just ordered a QS 5 jack plane. Curious how it will go.

Hmmm, my impression is that QS adjusts their quality according to who they are supplying. I gain this impression from Workshop Heaven's past direct dialogs with QS that have seen changes in the design of their planes. Thus, I suspect the planes WH receive are different from those Rutlands receive which are probably different from the Wood River versions sold in the USA. I suspect Rutlands would go for the "base model" versions and so I've never been tempted to buy one from them. I'd be interested in your impressions of the QS No. 5 when you receive it.

I didn't know this of course :cry: then again i shouldn't have expected otherwise, being the Rutlands QS 5 is 40£ cheaper, or i would need to order something extra from WH to get the 100£ free shipping option then it would be around 20-25£ in favor of Rutlands. But From what i could read in the description it has the bearing in the adjustment lever, a larger thumbwheel which i both saw in Rob Cosman's thumbs up promo for the woodriver planes.

Just got this reply from Rutlands:-

Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately this isn't the case. We cannot obtain any more machines at
all and therefore you new back-order has been cancelled.
We have a number of obsolete products to remove from the website over
the coming weeks.

I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused and welcome any other
queries you may have.

How long can it take to delete an obsolete item from their online catalogue?

They certainly don't seem to be too well organised do they?

Roy.

Digit":3nvljuyw said:

If everything works like clockwork then they are fine. However whenever there is the slighest wobble, everything rapidly goes downhill and they don't seem able to resolve the problem.

Thanks,
Neil

Digit":3vafmynb said:

Roy.

Apparantly they aren't.

I just got an email after 3 full working days for a carriage charge. Jeez, how long does it take to figure shipping costs. I've bought a lot of stuff through the web and if they can't figure out shipping costs it is mentioned before concluding the order, but not at Rutlands. So i sent them an email back and i'll try to wriggle my way out of the sale and take my business elsewhere, and you know where, WH.

Newbie_Neil":2t3hu1z4 said:
Digit":2t3hu1z4 said:

If everything works like clockwork then they are fine. However it seems as if there is the slighest wobble, everything rapidly goes downhill and they don't seem able to resolve the problem.
Something that Rob Lee said that sticks in my memory and influences my dealings with all companies as a result, is that really good customer service isn't do much about getting everything right all the time (because the world is imperfect and that just isn't possible) but rather it's how you make it right when something goes wrong. Folks like Lee Valley and Workshop Heaven are exceptional in that respect; many others are very good (and lots better than we were used to even a few years ago). Others, well they're still in the dark ages of good old British "customer service". The exchange of information via fora like this must be helping to raise the expected level of customer/retailer interaction a lot though, so I expect evolution will kick in and either they'll adapt, or die.

Does anyone know where they actually are?

There is an address on their web site, but it's clearly not the place from which they operate (although their management office may be there). If you use Google maps' Streetview, the estate in question is barns converted to offices (or new build to look like that), not warehousing.

So I'm a bit puzzled about the operation.

I should say though, that I have quite a few of Rutlands items, and whilst I've returned stuff, that which I've kept is fine, including my 'Dakota' wet grinding system, similar to the Jet one.

On the original subject, I bought the Kreg K4 (not the "system"), but not from Rutlands - Axminster, IIRC. I am very pleased with it, not least because of the measurements cast into the plastics. Although the simpler jigs will technically do the same thing (drill oblique holes to a specific depth), I think they would be a complete pain to set up in comparison, unless you set up a very standardised jig. If you do a variety of work, you'd be forever fiddling about with it.

They now have a "New Year Sale" (although it's only 22 December) - 15% off and free delivery; code 949.

Are they starting down the same road as DFS - everything permanently at sale prices?

Eric The Viking":38kb0niq said:
Does anyone know where they actually are?.....
Bakewell, Derbyshire. Warehouse/office type building on an industrial estate. No salesroom shopfront or anything but you can collect (after ordering and paying online or phone), to save postage, if they agree.
I guess they are a continuity of Tabwell Tools who were in the middle of town and went bust a few years ago.

PS It's quite a big building - if you see the satellite view you can compare the scale with the houses to the upper left.

Eric The Viking":hkz1u8r2 said:
Does anyone know where they actually are?

There is an address on their web site, but it's clearly not the place from which they operate (although their management office may be there). If you use Google maps' Streetview, the estate in question is barns converted to offices (or new build to look like that), not warehousing.

So I'm a bit puzzled about the operation.

I should say though, that I have quite a few of Rutlands items, and whilst I've returned stuff, that which I've kept is fine, including my 'Dakota' wet grinding system, similar to the Jet one.

On the original subject, I bought the Kreg K4 (not the "system"), but not from Rutlands - Axminster, IIRC. I am very pleased with it, not least because of the measurements cast into the plastics. Although the simpler jigs will technically do the same thing (drill oblique holes to a specific depth), I think they would be a complete pain to set up in comparison, unless you set up a very standardised jig. If you do a variety of work, you'd be forever fiddling about with it.

Eric I think that you will find that Rutlands do not keep much stock (especially machines) and when you order something they contact the manufacturer who will send it to you. So if this is correct they will not need a large premises.

Cheers

Mike

Thats correct Mike - trouble is they state stuff is available without any clue as to whether the supplier actually has it or can get it. As evidenced by my 3 months fob off (sorry, wait for delivery) and eventual cancellation of a SIP table saw. Rubbish customer service but it does keep their overheads down.....

Steve

Jacob":254m0zsz said:
I guess they are a continuity of Tabwell Tools who were in the middle of town and went bust a few years ago.

Rutland is definitely not a continuation of Tabwell Tools. I remember, a few years ago, asking the owner of Tabwell Tools whether he owned Rutland and he replied that he saw them as his biggest competitor.

Neil

I have the dakota pocket hole jig from Rutlands. I've had it several years, works great althouh when I first started using it the drill bit would cut out shavings from the guide. I was a little worried about this thinking I would get a sloppy fit. This hasn't been the case. I guess the guide was just slightly smaller than the drill bit.

I've used it again and again, and been very pleased with it but using a clamp (not supplied with mine) definately helps alignment, particularly keeping the face sides of the stock flush.

The replacement screws are a bit pricey though so I use fine and coarse thread drywall screws, they work great.

Back