Rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of buying one of the Rutland super loud tin can extractors but having read this maybe I won’t now.
I plan to build it into a sound deadening box so the flattish top compared to the Scheppach (and of course the price) appeals.
Any tips or recommendations?

I haven't used Rutlands for years so can't comment on their customer service and they do make everything look and sound good on their website.

My problem with them is the over use of words such as premium, precision, professional etc when the product clearly isn't.

For example a PRECISION 1/2" router with 30 PROFESSIONAL router bits for £169.99, it's probably the right price for what you will receive but won't be as described.

It has all 5 star reviews though so maybe I could be wrong :unsure:.............😂😂😂

I've had mixed opinions on the items I've purchased from them over the past years.

A few years back, I bought a large set of Blue Tornado 1/2" router bits from them. Various profiles, shapes and sizes and I've probably only used about 1/3 of the bits but they are all still fine, even the most commonly used cutters.

I also bought a 100mm 4 jaw scroll chuck from them for my lathe and it too is still working fine.

I cant remember how long ago, but i also bought 3 different digital measuring/ setting tools ( height gauge, angle gauge + 1 other).
All 3 are hopeless and seemed to eat batteries despite their sporadic use.

I just think it's a bit of a lottery purchasing from them,....some reasonable items, others not!

I bought their Rutlands ( probably rebadged) lathe in december as it was my breakthrough into wood turning and didn’t wanna break the bank just starting off, the spanner that they provide to help take off the default faceplate is a kind of cast iron that’s about 2/3mm thick and it completely warped due to it being so thin, i contacted customer services and although their site claims that the lathe has a “lifetime” warranty, they told me they wouldn’t send a replacement because it’s not covered...they wouldn’t replace a thin cheap spanner...that just spoke volumes to me and i’ve steered clear from them ever since. the lathe still runs fine though :/

TLDR: Just buy a record power

I was thinking of buying one of the Rutland super loud tin can extractors but having read this maybe I won’t now.
I plan to build it into a sound deadening box so the flattish top compared to the Scheppach (and of course the price) appeals.
Any tips or recommendations?
If you and you neighbours are deaf it will be fine. Or if the sound deadening box is a concrete lined underground bunker.

Mine is so loud I hate using it in the workshop (very loud even with ear defenders) and there's no way I could put it in the little dust collection shed I have attached as a lean-to. Just too anti-social. On top of that, I don't think it even filters the dust very well. I only use the big Rutlands extractor for sanding. The filter gets clogged super quick and frankly it makes sanding a misery. I had one of these before (I forget the make) and it was equally rubbish. I have no idea why I bought this one...

I have bought a couple of things form Rutlands and got what I expected for the price so I was happy.

On the issue of quality control. Many years ago I worked for Hawker Siddley and when walking around the factory floor saw the large sign "Quality is built in not inspected in". That message has stayed with me in most of the things I do even now over 50 years later.

On ISO 9000. I was on an RAF base and complemented the outsourced facilities manager on passing the ISO 9000 audit. I cannot repeat what he said but it implied that while he had been dealing with the pile of paperwork on his desk he had absolutely no idea if the work that he was signing off had actually been done and if it had, was it to an acceptable standard as he was spending all his time doing paperwork rather than inspecting work. But never mind the paperwork was good.

Rutlands is an expensive and often rip-off supplier.

All their prices are towards or above the norm and are couched in intervals of £10.99. This is always evidence of a rip off.

Quality is often poor.

Basically Chinese stuff being retailed to the less choosy in the UK.

Might as well buy from the Banggood or Aliexpress site.

Exactly - loads of Rutland stuff is just so obviously Banggood rebadged in a different colour at twice the price - Banggood stuff is often UK stocked and arrives in days (and it's the same coour as Woodpecker :) (y) )

Back