Rutlands Workbench castors - any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooose

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hoping someone can provide feedback on these:

Castors.jpg

https://www.rutlands.com/sp+routing...machinery-castor-set-with-lift-rutlands+r9020
I am looking to put them onto a heavy workbench (150kg) and they seem to be fairly well made.

Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
Bob Minchin (myfordman) AKA 9fingers made a cheap version of these retractable casters using 40, 50, and 60mm box iron.
He has plans for them if you look.
I used them for my bandsaw. one thing I noted with my thinner walled box iron was damage to my good boots when disengaging them, the second time round I made these, I made sure to weld a bit of metal on the end so they weren't so sharp, aswell as making a little more area of the flat foot lever on the underside, so it won't get stuck.

Kinda a faff for a workbench to go about each corner of the bench IMO
I made a thread and youtube titled 'a wheely good workbench solution'
Another good design might be another retractable caster design by a youtuber called riverbuilder.
Another fella worth looking at is Carl Holmgren, he has quite a few retractable caster designs, once you use a single lever design you won't go back.
I can't link anything as the internet is very bad at the moment.
Tom

Bob Minchin (myfordman) AKA 9fingers made a cheap version of these retractable casters using 40, 50, and 60mm box iron.
He has plans for them if you look.
I used them for my bandsaw. one thing I noted with my thinner walled box iron was damage to my good boots when disengaging them, the second time round I made these, I made sure to weld a bit of metal on the end so they weren't so sharp, aswell as making a little more area of the flat foot lever on the underside, so it won't get stuck.

Kinda a faff for a workbench to go about each corner of the bench IMO
I made a thread and youtube titled 'a wheely good workbench solution'
Another good design might be another retractable caster design by a youtuber called riverbuilder.
Another fella worth looking at is Carl Holmgren, he has quite a few retractable caster designs, once you use a single lever design you won't go back.
I can't link anything as the internet is very bad at the moment.
Tom

Mooose: One of my heroes recommended Coldene for castors Coldene UK Manufacturing so I invested in two sets of four for two heavy benches I made and they've been very reliable. They have quite a selection.

I bought an Axminster UJK router table on eBay. It has a castor like the one in your pic, but I do NOT like this castor. Just saying...

I have the Axminster ones on a couple of benches. I think they are all the same basic idea regardless of manufacturer. They only raise the bench just off the floor and they never feel particularly stable when the bench is up on the castors. They are also a wonderful trip hazard and as some have pointed out, you need to be able to access the back of the bench to lift and lower them. I think these might work almost as well with some fixed castors at the back and these at the front.

I was looking in to this some time ago and decided on a suitable jacking point at each end of the bench for my trolley or scissor jack. Two pieces of wood with suitable blocs screwed on and four swivel castors on each piece to make two dollies. Jack one end of the bench up, slide the dolly under the lower horizontals of the bench, repeat at other end. Reverse process to get bench back on its feet.

Bench is on its proper legs when in use, quick and cheap to make, no castors sticking out to trip over or inaccessible at back of bench.

In the end I did not proceed and stayed with my small bench and made a large bench on trestles which I can disassemble when I need the space. (Note disassemble not dismantle for those who have been following “ screws vs nut inserts”)

Back