Rutlands Warning!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit disappointing to post a negative thread but I didn’t want anyone else to lose out on time / money.
Recently bought a biscuit jointer from Rutlands as just needed something to throw together boards and quick joints, ordered from Rutlands as seemed to have good reviews and £100 so not too bad a price.
Arrived in a plastic bag only, the manual was all scuffed and I thought it seemed a bit rubbish but prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. Long story short the blade in the jointer was completely blunt - made a lovely burnt semi circle in the test piece I was using! - and when I emailed Rutlands they claimed the damage must have come from ParcelForce (the worlds slowest delivery company!!) and made no further comment when I pointed out that a rubbish box, no packaging and a delivery company aren’t likely to be the reason for a blunt blade inside a jointer they haven’t responded further!
You’ve been warned!
✌🏼

I don’t know to be honest.
The manual states that the blade is set up ready to use and I didn’t want to start taking it apart and messing around with it (I could have replaced the blade).
My point was more my disappointment at their attempt to blame the delivery company rather than take ownership of the problem.

You have ample grounds for a refund/ replacement. The blade spins 'clockwise' looking down on it so the teeth face to the right. I actually put on a table saw blade back to front once and wondered where all the smoke was coming from.:rolleyes:

they post fake 5 star reviews on their website, I think they need to be more transparent about this, it makes everything look like people have already bought it and are happy, it wouldn't surprise me if they delete negative reviews as well.

Why do companies like Rutlands who really need the support of the woodworking communities treat customers like this, they have nothing to gain and everything to lose and it can only benefit other companies if they push people there way.

I had a slight issue with a product I brought from FC tools, contacted Frank to explain my issue and a replacement arrived the next day without any hassle, that is customer service we should all expect and is what generates repeat business.

Shame I placed an order with Rutlands this am :( I had an issue with Yandles delivery yesterday, talk about dealing with it brilliantly. Left a great impression and sorted immediately.

I don’t know to be honest.
The manual states that the blade is set up ready to use and I didn’t want to start taking it apart and messing around with it (I could have replaced the blade).
My point was more my disappointment at their attempt to blame the delivery company rather than take ownership of the problem.
Surely, Rutlands have the contract with Parceforce to deliver the item, so they should sort out any problems. It has been my experience, that if packaging does come adrift during transit, then Parcel Force usually stick it in a bag and put a brief explanatory note on.
Also it's not wholly unheard of for couriers to split up packages to make them easier to handle. I had a Belfast sink sent to me that was removed from it's pallet for easier delivery. they then managed to break it.
As the other posters have noted, the cutter could well be upside -down , it's so easily done if you're not focused properly - even on spindle moulders.!
I purchased a small router from Rutlands, recently and it was all packaged neatly in its box. When ordering machine tools such as this it's not unreasonable to expect it to arrive in a box.

Why do companies like Rutlands who really need the support of the woodworking communities treat customers like this, they have nothing to gain and everything to lose and it can only benefit other companies if they push people there way.

I had a slight issue with a product I brought from FC tools, contacted Frank to explain my issue and a replacement arrived the next day without any hassle, that is customer service we should all expect and is what generates repeat business.
It must affect their business you would think. The seem to be operating a policy of "Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen". They're being arrogant with their reputation, and thats never going to end well

But the only reputation that Rutlands have, and have had for years, is lousy customer service. They can only be trading on new business from newcomers to the hobby....

I ordered a particular woodturning scraper from Rutlands, not bought from them before, good price and its not something I will use a lot. Arrived fine, for the money it's a decent tool. The mistake was to tick the "send me email offers box", or not untick it don't remember. I expected one or two a week, they sent between one and three a day so I unsubscribed. Bit OTT hard selling I thought. Not sure I would use them for anything that might go wrong or need spares.

Seems kind of salty. Care to elaborate on what's upset you here? Perhaps I'm missing something...
Sometimes people are either upset about something or are trying to discredit a company that they join multiple websites, post the same comment and are never seen again.

... or are trying to discredit a company that they join multiple websites, post the same comment and are never seen again.

Ok. But is there any evidence of that here? Seems like the OP is being prejudged and I think we might offer the benefit of the doubt and a warmer welcome. Just my 2p's worth.

Bought THIS from Screwfix, cost £60.00 -- good enough for me !
It was a couple of years ago now, but I ordered the Rutlands Biscuit Jointer and the fence would not stay put on it. To be fair to them they got it picked up and refunded, so happy enough with their response.

Ordered that Screwfix one as a replacement though and it was head and shoulders better. Would definitely recommend it for the price.

Ive bought a few things from them and generally had good experience with Rutlands CS. Vacuum clamps I bought then didnt use for a while (just had other things on) just wouldn't work. CS guy went through everything many times, replaced them and when still didnt work offered me a refund no quibbles. Pretty reasonable imo.

Back