RUTLANDS - WARNING - POOR ATTITUDE!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuffimade

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased an item from Rutland's, when it arrived it was not as described or even as shown in the pictures.

It was described as having numbers etched into the body of the tool, but it just had stickers on it, that where already peeling off.
The photos showed an item of brushed aluminium, but what arrived was a cheap steel imitation.

When i raised this to them and asked them what they would do about it, they sent me a link to a returns form.
I asked them to confirm that i would be refunded for the return postage as the item was not as described.
They replied saying that it is as described please explain how it is not, so when i went to the website to screen grab them details they had changed them. Luckily i have and email containing the description and Google searches haven't reflected the changes.

But a very underhand approach from Rutlands to hide the evidence! Not impressed at all.

All i can suggest is that you NEVER buy from Rutlands

Get round there and donkey punch the f******. It won't matter they're not real people.

The emergence of reviews reflecting even slightly realistic opinions is only a very recent thing with them.

I must admit, my experience of them is tainted to say the least, however given the stark choice we have for woodworking tools in the UK I'm glad they are there.

Shipping in from Germany or the Netherlands is a really good option as the Euro is good for us at the moment

stuffimade":364ycp0c said:
Shipping in from Germany or the Netherlands is a really good option as the Euro is good for us at the moment

Agreed and I get a fair bit from Fine tools and Dictum myself. Just noting that we have very little here is all.

I feel your pain with Rutlands but I think most people on here shop with them knowing it's going to be hit or miss.

Geoff,

It is probably of no help whatsoever, but I remembered seeing the description of these in a Rutlands special offer, and I have searched my emails and have found a description of this item which lists them as :

COMBO SET
✔ Double ended gauges measure both nuts and bolt threads
✔ Each gauge is clearly etched with identification size

If you would like me to forward said email so you can prove that they were once listing them as etched then I will happily forward it for you.

Pete

Hi WibbleWooble
I have the email, but thanks for looking. I have decide not to deal with Rutlands any more, i ma not even going to attempt to return the item, they have just lost a customer, its just not worth the hassle. I prefer dealing with a company like Axminster who have the customer service so right.

WibbleWobble":3caumhgn said:
Geoff,

It is probably of no help whatsoever, but I remembered seeing the description of these in a Rutlands special offer, and I have searched my emails and have found a description of this item which lists them as :

COMBO SET
✔ Double ended gauges measure both nuts and bolt threads
✔ Each gauge is clearly etched with identification size

If you would like me to forward said email so you can prove that they were once listing them as etched then I will happily forward it for you.

Pete

Sorry to hear what will remain with you for the rest of your life. Does the company not realise what it means to have customer care ...or at least pretend to show it. Someone near the top may not be aware of what is going on. Others internally must know and not telling. Do they have a big turn over of staff...a problem in its self but also an indication of problems at the top. A pity for everyone. An opportunity to turn over a new leaf. I haven't used them but 'note' the notes above. I had this problem with a spoke company who were totally disinterested in orders being sent out wrong , coming bak, and going out wrong but different. In that case it was someone not interested or able to cope the task. Went on fora year.

Another good reason not to use Rutlands is that they do not encrypt your stored account password. I found this out when I made a request as I couldn’t remember my password. They just replied with my password, rather than the usual method of a link to reset an encrypted password, or a temporary password. Just hope users with a Rutlands account don’t use the same login details for other sites.

twothumbs":1crr4fri said:
Sorry to hear what will remain with you for the rest of your life. Does the company not realise what it means to have customer care ...or at least pretend to show it. Someone near the top may not be aware of what is going on. Others internally must know and not telling. Do they have a big turn over of staff...a problem in its self but also an indication of problems at the top. A pity for everyone. An opportunity to turn over a new leaf. I haven't used them but 'note' the notes above. I had this problem with a spoke company who were totally disinterested in orders being sent out wrong , coming bak, and going out wrong but different. In that case it was someone not interested or able to cope the task. Went on fora year.

If you search this forum you will find we have been here many many times.
The fact is they don't care is because people don't see or ignore warnings from others.
They must have a big churn of customers and are not bothered about those that go away; there are plenty more gullible fish in the sea.

“There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.”
John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Think what they could be with the right attitude!

lurker":2xapt0u9 said:
twothumbs":2xapt0u9 said:

If you search this forum you will find we have been here many many times.
The fact is they don't care is because people don't see or ignore warnings from others.
They must have a big churn of customers and are not bothered about those that go away; there are plenty more gullible fish in the sea.

stuffimade":gnpxiq0j said:
Think what they could be with the right attitude!

I don't think they are geared up to deal with their current workload, let alone if they put some effort into keeping and acquiring new customers by word of mouth.

Given their typically low stock levels I also suspect their usual suppliers are not exactly up to speed either.

As I said before, I'm not a fan of them but will use them for the odd product. Whilst it's a bit pot luck with the generic Dakota brand, the likes of Jessem, Incra, etc or a known quantity.

shed9":25ov6hth said:
Whilst it's a bit pot luck with the generic Dakota brand, the likes of Jessem, Incra, etc. or a known quantity.

Indeed they are, and also available, with superb Customer Service, from elsewhere.(mod edit) No-one has to tolerate service they don't like.

Steve

Steve Maskery":2besi0qk said:
shed9":2besi0qk said:
Whilst it's a bit pot luck with the generic Dakota brand, the likes of Jessem, Incra, etc. or a known quantity.

Indeed they are, and also available, with superb Customer Service, from elsewhere.(mod edit) No-one has to tolerate service they don't like.

Steve

Peter Sefton for example
:wink:

Back