Rutlands Sign Crafter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKTony

Established Member
Reaction score
The problem with gadgets and woodworking is you can get obsessed about them and end up throwing money away, those who read my Cursing Norm post will understand...

The product i finally used to make a simple nameplate sign was the Rutlands Sign Crafter
sign1.jpg

The kit cost £39.95 + 6.95 delivery and includes both 7/16th and 5/8th letters, includes 164 letters and numbers and can make signs up to 12 inches wide and 36 inches in length. Another added advantage is the inclusion of a couple of guide bushes which have longer stems than my Trend ones also included is a clear poly base plate to take them and they twist on rather than screw on which make them easy to change. There is one 3/8 cove bit included however this only works with the larger letters and looks to have a longer than average shank

sign2.jpg

The kit is very easy to put together with good instructions in a nutshell you build your sign in between the two holders and attach it via the inclusive cramps

sign3.jpg

I've done a few practice signs using scraps and will be using it properly on some nice wood at the weekend.

sign4.jpg

More pics of a finished sign to follow

Hope this helps

The test piece looks worse than what it actually is because mine looked like that at first. Once you clean up and paint the letters black they look a LOT better. Mind you I have the trend and not the Milescraft set.

I might get the Milescraft set myself sometime in the future as having upper and lower/smaller case letters sounds good. The Trend templates only come in upper case.

I toyed with the idea of getting that set, but decided to stick with the trend.
I prefur the trend font, the other one looks a bit 'American' for my liking.

Heres the results i get with the trend, using a 10mm core box set to cut width of about 8mm, as opposed to the 8mm straight that trend recomend.

The 'THE' was done with a 3mm straight cutter and home made jig.

Heres one with the letters painted, but not finished;

b9e593d8.jpg

Back