Rutlands Rant....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ColeyS1":1r4yystd said:
24d1f9851039f283cc821759c731ef0d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Try calling that number

I also think the OP is overreacting a little, however, Rutlands have just put their prices up. And not just a little on a few items, looks like around 20% on everything. Everything I've been looking at anyway. And I'm talking in the last day or two.

The majority of the stuff they sell is carp, but their prices were compelling. Now they sell carp and it's just the same price as everywhere else.

I think they'll be losing more than just the OP as customers in the very near future.

Gary.

They're a little sneaky sometimes with their prices "was £250, now £199" and me having watched the item for 8 months waiting for it to come back into stock knew it was never £250!

But hey, all the more familiar high street retailers do stuff like that before Black Friday too.

I bought a 1100w 4" hose dust extractor for £60 a couple of years back and I've been really happy with it, that was an absolute bargain.

I'd buy from them again, as long as you ignore price history they're fine.

I think you have to measure a company by how well they deal with a problem. They don't want phonecalls - it's not their business model. Phonecalls can be a huge waste of time and for every customer who buys I bet there are 10 who don't and want to ask endless questions. I have bought from Rutlands half a dozen times - not the best quality, not the cheapest, irritatingly frequently in imperial sizes, deceptive about past prices and reviews are very suspect. However, when I did have a problem - with that same extractor I think - they replaced the part that had been damaged in transit within a couple of days and where very communicative. I would use them again.

Peterm1000":2ajp8jfi said:
I did have a problem - with that same extractor I think - they replaced the part that had been damaged in transit within a couple of days and where very communicative. I would use them again.

Noisy búgger isn't it? :wink:

I've got that dust extractor it's great value and does what I need.
I also have their Tormek clone, again great value and does the job well.

I've never had a problem with Rutlands. Bought a plane that came with a bent blade (which took some doing I thought) and they sent a replacement blade out immediately when I sent them a photo of the blade. Every other order has been grand although I haven't bought often from them.

A lot of companies make it very hard to find their phone number now, at least one that will be answered by a knowledgeable human. Try finding a number for British Gas, aside from the automated bill payment line. I could sort out my Aged P's account using the only phone number with an actual human on the other end , a special service for "priority customers" - everyone else has no chance.

What I don't get is there buy-one-get-one-free on items that people probably only want one of - who really needs two trolley jacks??

ooh, I am a sucker for a BOGOF.

Gonna have a look on Rutlands for some cheap stuff that I don't need. (hammer)

BigMonka":3aocaa87 said:
What I don't get is there buy-one-get-one-free on items that people probably only want one of - who really needs two trolley jacks??

It does give you an idea of their price margins at least.

BigMonka":1ulfgfpa said:

If you look at their website you will often find that the price of a single item is less then their price for the "Buy one - get one free" price. Can't remember what it was but the BOGOF price was £19.95 and the price for a single item (different part number) was about £6 less so you were actually paying £6 for the free item.

Like most big companies (supermarkets, fast food chains etc) their bargains are not always what they seem to be. Having said that, I have bought quite a few items from Rutlands over the years and as long as I pay attention to price difference between them and other suppliers I have no complaints about their service or products.

Totally unjustified and unreasonable rant.

My perspective of this rant is the OP is mad because he didn't do his homework on pricing and found out after a delay getting a response to his inquiry that it is sold cheaper elsewhere. Rutlands lacklustre response has saved him money and instead of grumbling about them he should be singing the praises of the vendor that has the better prices.

Too many people have become entirely too impatient and unreasonable. As a kid I would have been cuffed by my parents for such behaviour.

Pete

Inspector":1vpndy5q said:
Totally unjustified and unreasonable rant.

My perspective of this rant is the OP is mad because he didn't do his homework on pricing and found out after a delay getting a response to his inquiry that it is sold cheaper elsewhere. Rutlands lacklustre response has saved him money and instead of grumbling about them he should be singing the praises of the vendor that has the better prices.

Too many people have become entirely too impatient and unreasonable. As a kid I would have been cuffed by my parents for such behaviour.

Pete

I think you're missing the point. Lack of a phone number is extremely infuriating when you need to get a problem solved. These companies can take a few days to respond. So it takes forever to get your problem resolved. Something I experienced myself when I needed to return a product I purchased from Rutlands

Back