Rutlands Rant....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
What's up with Rutlands?

They sent me an email for some clamping squares and F clamps which I thought were a reasonable buy. However, I wanted to talk to them about the offer (I wanted more clamps) but couldn't find a phone number so sent them an email asking for their phone number. While waiting for their reply I went searching online and found what I want for less money. I think they have lost a customer.

regards

Brian

You wouldn't have found anybody there who knew what a clamp was anyway.

As for finding a better price elsewhere, that is what I tend to do and is the only reason I don't unsubscribe from the emails. Generally speaking the prices are reasonable but not great and I will not spend money with Rutland's any longer.

Well I replied to their email and told them that because of this they have lost a customer. It'll be interesting to see if I get any sort of reply to that.

regards

Brian

I often wonder why some sites have a 'contact us' section at all. In past few weeks alone I've contacted two local joiners asking for a price for something they claim to do and a timber merchant offering free 'local' delivery and I'm yet to hear back from any of them.

Just for balance, I have a cabinet making business, we tend to do big projects. Someone out of the blue contacts me the other day asking if I'd make a wardrobe, I said as polite as possible that we don't undertake one of units like that. Since then I've had a barrage of emails saying he has told all his friends not to use us, he reckons he's now going to offer a full house refurb to someone else. Of course it's all boll0x's and I really don't care what he says to others, but I have no idea how I upset him.

Posts like these stink. I think trying to ruin a companies reputation on line when really they have not done anything outrageous is below the belt. I thought there was a no name and shame policy anyway.

I agree with Dr. Bob actually. I have no personal experience of Rutlands but the story here seems to be that the OP wanted some stuff and they weren't the cheapest.

Some people have a ludicrous expectation of responsiveness in this internet age.

These days I mostly use a local tool guy, largely because he offers a power tool repair service. He price matches Axminster, and they are not necessarily the cheapest. So I pay a bit more, but if I want something he gets it for me pronto. If I am stuck he has in the past lent me tools - no charge.

He stocks the main brands I use, Including Mirka. And he also stocks Silverline. (Out the back). I asked him about this and he said no pro or tradesmen will ever buy them, but the locals and casual shoppers won't pay the price for decent quality tools - many people these days just shop on price.

What I wanted was to talk to them to ask if I could buy some extra clamps. If I could have rang them they would have got the order without me shopping around which I did mainly out of frustration. As for wanting to ruin a firms reputation, I think Rutland are already doing a pretty decent job of it themselves. Plus what is a forum for if I can’t share my experiences with others?

Brian

You can't get a more notoriously terrible customer service than Rutlands! There really isn't much reputation left to ruin :lol:

doctor Bob":1xbcgyhz said:
Just for balance, I have a cabinet making business, we tend to do big projects. Someone out of the blue contacts me the other day asking if I'd make a wardrobe, I said as polite as possible that we don't undertake one of units like that. Since then I've had a barrage of emails saying he has told all his friends not to use us, he reckons he's now going to offer a full house refurb to someone else. Of course it's all boll0x's and I really don't care what he says to others, but I have no idea how I upset him.

Posts like these stink. I think trying to ruin a companies reputation on line when really they have not done anything outrageous is below the belt. I thought there was a no name and shame policy anyway.

I totally agree with you. The guy is ranting about how they didn't email him back in time. Pathetic...

Most pointless thread of 2019 so far !!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Selwyn":3c26xii3 said:
doctor Bob":3c26xii3 said:

I have dealings with a number of American companies and with many of them, even allowing for the time differential, I get a rapid response almost every time or an apology if they think they've been slow to respond. That doesn't happen in the UK, whether it's incompetence or sheer ignorance I'm disgusted by the number of companies who fail to respond to polite and genuine enquiries. There's a shocking attitude with regards to customer service in this country. I receive enquiries, most of which I know will never come to anything but I still endeavour to give a prompt and polite response. I've had seven in last two hours, all of them the equivalent of tyre-kickers but I still extend the same professional courtesy I would like to but seldomly ever do receive. I will continue to make my one man stand against the decline in service.

I totally agree with you. The guy is ranting about how they didn't email him back in time. Pathetic...

brianhabby":1d2tib6q said:
However, I wanted to talk to them about the offer (I wanted more clamps
There is a quantity box at check out, just up the number.

Not getting a response from an online retailer in a 'reasonable' time frame is par for the course I'm afraid. It's just a function of what they are, box shifters with little to no value add.

As for their number, did you try googling "rutlands phone number"?

I found the phone number just by doing a basic google search. Sorry OP I fail to see what the "big" problem is.

24d1f9851039f283cc821759c731ef0d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

brianhabby":3j49tsnv said:
Selwyn":3j49tsnv said:

My rant was about not being able to phone them.

Brian

So what? Maybe they dont want to encourage phone calls etc.

I dont like the nature of your complaint if you bought something and it was not up to scratch then fair enough to "rant" but you didn't. Its cost you nothing

Back