Rutlands - pricing and reviews?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell will freeze over before I buy from there again.
Anyway why bother they rarely are any cheaper

whiskywill":125fb8sr said:
AJB Temple":125fb8sr said:
Yes. 7 days. It is in Rutland T&Cs.

That is the minimum time specified in the distance selling regulations. 7 days from the day that you receive the goods.

Believe me rutlands will wiggle and lie to get around taking anything back.
I bet Derbyshire training standards have a branch in bakewell just to deal with the scum.

I am not a big fan of Axminster but you can't fault their customer services
Then about ten leagues higher are folks like Matthew

Some years ago they did have a reputation here of taking your money and then informing you that the item/s were out of stock. No idea if this has changed, would hope it has.
Someone from Rutlands did used to post here but haven't seem them around for some time. Just checked, it was the MD apparently but he hasn't been on for 9 years or so, he may have moved on.
I did get a PM from another Rutlands person a few years back and they said that in threads where Rutlands was mentioned the company seemed to attract abusive and insulting comments from members...and they wanted various posts removed. I must have forgotten to do this. I also invited this person to comment on the forum regarding the various issues members had with the company but it was suggested that such things should be done in private. Good thing Rob Lee, Axminster, WH etc have a more helpful approach in assisting our members.
No doubt many, many of their customers are happy but a company is often judged by how they respond when things go wrong.

I've used them a few times. I've never had any issue.

I don't however believe their sale prices as some items spend much longer at sale prices than anything else. I recently bought their bobbin sander. It's meant to be £140 or something but it's often "reduced" to around £100 anyway they had some overall promo that got 15% off and you could still get 5% off and free delivery if you spent over £100 so I bought the sander and a pencil and spent around £80. So I thought that was good. I've never had to return anything or had any issues though.

Just from reading on here it does seem that they need to up their customer service skills. If they did that and we're a little better with their normal and sale prices then I think they could be onto a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiskywill":itzgmd0x said:
AJB Temple":itzgmd0x said:

That is the minimum time specified in the distance selling regulations. 7 days from the day that you receive the goods.

Thats not correct the law has changed - under the Consumer Contracts Regulations you have the right to return your order up to 14 days from the day you receive your goods.

They've got a few unique and useful items, but the vast majority is just bait to catch inexperienced hobbyists. The idea that you can get an accurate router table for £X or a decent dovetail jig for £Y is laughable nonsense. They rely on the fact that every year thousands of naive and gullible new hobbyists will take up woodworking and decide that Rutlands tat is the way to rocket up the furniture making learning curve and quickly be producing quality pieces that will leave friends and family gasping in admiration.

Ho, ho, ho.

I had a recent dispute with them recently also and can honestly say they are the worst online retailer I have dealt with in the last 10+ years.

I purchased their new oscellating bet/bobbin sander, basically switched it on for the first time and it went bang and the oscillation stopped, however the bobbin still rotated.

Rang them and they collected, no problem with that, however a could smell a rat straight away as I requested a brand new machine, taking into account it physically had not been used, and all thoughout the phone call, even though I kept on insisting I wanted a brand new replacement, they would never confirm this and they "would have a look at it first".

Think you may have guessed whats coming as when I rang them the next day to see what was happening they confirmed it would be returned the following day with a new motor, a replacement drive belt, and a new switch!!.

After a few more phone calls to other people within Rutlands that I was passed on to as I was getting nowhere with getting a replacement machine I started to mail them aswell because I wanted some written communication from them as I could see the way this was going and was informed to mail Mark Taberham their M.D. and dare I say his attitude was awful.

He couldn't understand what the issue was as they had acted honourably and "had fixed it under the 3 month warranty".

I thought all goods were supplied with 12 months however he said it was only 3 months from the manufacturer?

I still insisted I wanted either a brand new machine, or a refund, and not too bother sending the original back as I wouldn't accept delivery, mind durning the e mails I placed a damming review of the machine on their website, which surprisingly didn't get there, I wonder why?, looks as they must vet the reviews, which I thought may have been illegal?

Anyway, cut an even longer story short he did eventuallyy give me a refund, however I would have seen it though and went to court if needed because I'm 100% sure I would have won under "the sale of goods act".

I think I'm a reasonable sort of bloke, and had the machine been used a few times would more than likely accepted a repair, but with the machine basically running for a second, no way.

Whether I would deal with Rutlands again, given the choice, definately not, however like most things it comes down to cost, but if the same item was only a few pounds more with a different company, there's no way Rutlands would ever get my business ever again.

You have been warned.....but sounds as though most of you already know!

Phil

I don't like pricing where the "normal" price is inflated and the "sale" price in nearer the real price.

clk230":jbzjym7l said:
whiskywill":jbzjym7l said:
AJB Temple":jbzjym7l said:

Thats not correct the law has changed - under the Consumer Contracts Regulations you have the right to return your order up to 14 days from the day you receive your goods.

The consumer has 14 days to return the goods starting on the day after delivery and need not give a reason for cancelling. In other words you can simply change your mind. The consumer is normally liable for the cost of returning the item unless it is delivered faulty. The trader should issue a full refund including the cost of outgoing shipping originally charged to the consumer. It is an offence for the trader to charge a restocking fee. You can see more at this link.

As for experience with Rutlands I have used them several times over the years and never had a problem. I have never needed or wished to return an item so have no experience of their after sales service but this thread will make me more aware next time.

I did once visit their premises expecting to have a look around only to be told they don't have a showroom or anywhere for customers and was turned away :(

regards

Brian

Latest posts

Back