Rutlands Premium Cryogenic M2 Woodturning tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveBartley

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I’m just about to go and buy the Crown Cryogenic M2 set, however came cross this advert for a potential alternative at Rutlands. Being somewhat a cynic, ‘if it looks like being too good to be true it usually is’ kind of person I am sceptical, however I’m also one who likes to look after the pennies kind of person. I know, terrible combinatio. Has anyone got any experience of these Rutlands ones, are they really the same quality as the Crown?? Hellllllp!

I’m not sure what the price difference is but you only buy these once so I would go for the Crown and be assured of the quality.

I'll pose a hypothetical (I've had record power - still use record power older tools that are probably HSS), crown pro-pm or something like that (which i'm guessing may be M42) and sorby turning tools, as well as "benjamin's best".

M2 is a relatively simple HSS as far as grain structure goes and it doesn't need to be PM or anything else to be good (unlike some steels like D2 that are very disparate in carbide size in ingot vs. powder metal forms). So, there's no real reason a cheap tool can't be really good. But execution of that by the low cost makes isn't quite as good (figure if they're sold for $30 for a gouge, the actual cost out of china is probably a fourth or an eighth of what you see the cost being - a little maddening as the low cost production could be used to improve them rather than go the other way - spend a little money, get a lot).

The translation for things to do is that if you want to try the inexpensive marques, buy a gouge of the same type each for crown and rutlands and try them. One gouge will tell you what the maker of the rutlands tools are doing and maybe help you avoid soft gouges (my "benjamin's best" tools, which I got early on are OK, but soft. They were about a quarter or a third of the cost of sorby at the same time- sorby's standard HSS tools are a bit soft, too).

Cryo is a bit of a buzzword, and it can do slightly different things in different alloys, above and beyond the typical tempered hardness of the alloys differing (for example, something like japanese white steel will temper to a higher hardness than A2 when both are in a tempered sweet spot for chisels - thus the japanese chisels end up harder).

Cryo's biggest benefit when PM steel is used (where carbide modification doesn't nee to be done) is that it creates a lower terminal temperature after quench (assuming it's done between quench and temper) and more of the microstructure of the steel is converted to something that's hardened and stable. There are other routines where it's done between tempering, and I know less about that, but the contribution in most cases is to make steel harder and less tough (the parts that are soft also make for toughness - more energy absorbed before something breaks).

M2 can be very high hardness - it rarely is in turning tools. If there is one turning tool that cuts a material and another that doesn't, the issue at hand is probably a difference in hardness and not a difference in steel. A tougher and softer tool is safer with novice users and has less chance of coming back as a return or demand for customer service. Harder tools sharpen more crisply and hardness does add edge life beyond that.

I turn brass with M2 tools, and am kind of curious re: the materials not touched by HSS tools - are they resinous or abrasive (that would be a case where a higher carbide higher hardness steel would be useful as one material is just abrading the other no matter what).

D-W,
first off all the best for this comming New Year...actually that goes to everyone here.....
I read with interest all ur posts and often need to re read.....
Where did you learn all this stuff about steel.....
it amazes me ur depth off knowlege.....

on a similar note...
I know a guy in his 80's who repairs and make ally bodies for antique racing cars...
he only uses Oxy/accetelyne to weld the parts together....not TIG.....!!!!

keep the posts comming....

I only know some basic stuff about metals, but needed to learn enough to know what to use for tools and then how to manipulate characteristics.

There's a superb metallurgist local to me who has written extensively about processes and what actually occurs (but I think his focus was some of the absolutely farcical claims that used to be made by knife makers). Having someone like that who dispels myths in plain language is nice.

It's common for low cost steel to be underhardened and something more exotic hardened at the top of the range to get you to pay more for the latest and greatest.

M2 is a wonderful steel because it can attain high hardness and have relatively fine grain without being powdered type, but it's not new, so it's rarely as good as it could be.

Ingot steel costs a small fraction compared to pm bar, but buyers recognize specs and branding, so the common stuff is not done with any pride.

(Am I following that the fellow you're talking about used acetylene to basically make a forge weld?)

Hi @D_W, I’m sure my dear old Dad could answer your questions, but he’s quite elderly now and in poor health. He was a metallurgist who’s first job was at Rolls Royce working on engine metallurgy. He was one of the Concorde team and was on the maiden flight of 002. I must look out the ticket stub for that and sell it on eBay! I am ashamed to say that it all bored me rigid as a child, but I did enjoy playing with the electron microscope at RR. He moved on to making metal bits for helicopters at Westlands (back in the day we actually made state of the art helicopters in England). Then finished his career as foundry manager at Fabrique National, making a good percentage of the world’s armaments, but we’ll gloss over that. Anyway, long way of saying he’s probably forgotten more about metallurgy than most people ever knew and I’m happy to ask him if you have any interesting questions. Well to be fair anything post mid 80s he might be a bit sketchy on. He’s a bit frail, but still very much compos mentis and can still bore the hind leg off of a donkey about metal related stuff.

I never expected my rather naive question to lead to lessons in metallurgy. What a fascinating conversation, most of which was way beyond anything I never knew or even considered about metals. A whole new world that I never even considered, but without which much of the progress we as a species have made would not have been possible.

Back on the original query, I bought the Crowns today, tried them out on a scrap hardwood leg of a bedside table which was a revelation. I’ve only recently come to Woodturning and had bought an old set to get started. I had tried one of the other legs earlier in the week with my old Robert Sorby Kangaroo chisels which they couldn’t cope with. The Crowns we’re akin to a knife through butter by comparison.

Many thanks for the sage device from Phil, Richard and m.webb63.

Many thanks for the free metallurgy lessons D_W and the interesting conversations this generated. Amazing forum.

I looked up the crown pro-pm tools last night. they sort of sit behind a wall of "well, this is a proprietary metal". I doubt it is. LV's V11 appears to be CTS-XHP based on someone having the metal analyzed, but it's possible they could've made a trivial modification to an alloying element to call it proprietary.

That leaves the question as to what pro-pm is, and I'm guessing that it's a higher carbide content powder metal (not sure if there is a PM M42 or something else similar). The hardness spec given (66-69) suggests something like that. Interestingly, the hardness spec target for M2 is 65, though nobody will make it at that.

I can't find reliable information about the wear length of M42 (it's definitely the case that one line of crown tools *is* m42 -based, but probably not PM - rather ingot metallurgy - as in, the steel is cast in an ingot and rolled rather than sprayed in tiny powder bits and then worked together). Powder and ingot steels have the same properties, except the complicated things that occur with carbide refinement in ingots don't need to occur because each powder bit is a tiny ingot of hot metal sprayed to cool instantly so that the grain size/carbide coarsening can't occur quickly. When steel is heated and cast, all of the alloying elements are in solution, and it's the cooling where they sort of aggregate together in teams (this isn't desirable, but it's what occurs). The part of metallurgy that I don't follow too much is the methods of dealing with limiting carbide growth as much as possible (that can be done by forging or rolling ,literally breaking the carbides into smaller parts, or by thermal controls to get the carbides back into solution again later and try to get the metal cooled limiting their growth - its' complicated because complex alloys are temperature sensitive).

Long story short, PMs generally have the same wear resistance, the same hardness, but the "bits" are more evenly dispersed which leads to better uniformity. Better uniformity leads to better toughness (cracking and breaking in steel starts in the carbides - so having big carbides is just a point where a break can start and then propagate into the matrix and then into a break). While the potential hardness and wear resistance is the same (and on large metal to metal contact surfaces, it wouldn't make any difference as no carbides are on sharp edges), there's no great difference - but in something like edged tools, if toughness is better in the powder version, then you can take advantage by pushing hardness a little higher and giving up some of the toughness but still having enough.

So, it's possible that the pro-PM tools are driven higher hardness than ingot-steel based tools, but I doubt much.

M42 is a high speed steel that has a lot of cobalt added. The advantage of cobalt as an alloying element is that it maintains hardness at high temperatures - so you see it in a lot of metalworking tools. I just read larrin's (knifesteelnerds) article again last night about the "super high hardness" steels (though the cobalt addition is something I'm aware of in M42) to see what other steels he may have discussed but don't see anything that you can say "oh, pro-pm is definitely ____"

The claims of it or M42 lasting 2-3 times as long as "high speed steel" (like M2) are only possible if you're doing something like really high heat - like over 900 degrees heat, which seems unlikely - or more likely, if M2 is being left soft (and almost all of the basic high speed steel turning tools are soft). But they may be accurate if comparing M42 to soft M2.

I have a bowl gouge from crown pro-pm and it's definitely very hard. I don't notice the extra edge holding too much because I don't use gouges in dirty wood.

Long story short here, it'd be lovely to know what the alloys are (but it's better for brands to pretend they've come up with a "proprietary" alloy, because you can't comparison shop then). In reality, if you want to get the high hardness that's advertised with the high cost tools, that's the only place that it seems to be chased - in the high cost versions, even though it could be done with lower cost materials (that would be counter to their goals, I guess - to make a very high quality M2 tool that lasted 80% as long as the PM version).

Lastly - what was the actual purpose for all of these really high hardness steels that have very high hot hardness? They were intended to replace cemented carbide in metalworking situations where carbide isn't tough enough and is expensive (as in, interrupted cuts where carbide breaks easily and the high cost of it is wasted with immediate failure of tools).

The V versions of steels are interesting also, as they have high toughness and high hardness potential with low carbide volume - like 10V. I've seen tools made of 10V before, but they're also expensive and if anything isn't right when they're made and heat treated, they'll fail (one of the manufacturers in the US sold bare tools (no handle) on amazon and there are reviews complaining of breakage (which is due to lack of toughness).

Hi @D_W, I’m sure my dear old Dad could answer your questions, but he’s quite elderly now and in poor health. He was a metallurgist who’s first job was at Rolls Royce working on engine metallurgy. He was one of the Concorde team and was on the maiden flight of 002. I must look out the ticket stub for that and sell it on eBay! I am ashamed to say that it all bored me rigid as a child, but I did enjoy playing with the electron microscope at RR. He moved on to making metal bits for helicopters at Westlands (back in the day we actually made state of the art helicopters in England). Then finished his career as foundry manager at Fabrique National, making a good percentage of the world’s armaments, but we’ll gloss over that. Anyway, long way of saying he’s probably forgotten more about metallurgy than most people ever knew and I’m happy to ask him if you have any interesting questions. Well to be fair anything post mid 80s he might be a bit sketchy on. He’s a bit frail, but still very much compos mentis and can still bore the hind leg off of a donkey about metal related stuff.

I've been fortunate that much of the complicated stuff in metallurgy doesn't apply to me (doing thermal cycling in a forge quickly instead of in a furnace in long controlled intervals), so I'm actually somewhat immune to metallurgists at this point!!

Larrin thomas (knifesteelnerds.com or something like that) wrote a wonderful book about high carbon steels (from a knife making perspective) and it's uber complex in discussion of potential problems (and then the person reading the book wanting to make use would want to know how to deal with them - as in - if you can reduce carbide size by forging complex steels, that's great, but the average person would have no way to roll or hammer M42 bar and heat it accurately to do it - those steels are very hard forging).

I thought maybe I needed to know those, but needed to do something different - harden and temper simple steels and experiment with thermal manipulation that shrinks the grain further and further so that I could match (or better in some case) hardness and toughness properties of well done steel.

The fortunate part is that the high carbide steels that may be better for turning and metalworking really aren't great for woodworking because they're not good at holding a fine edge - they're good at holding what's left after the fine edge comes off. That's fortunate, because the complex steels probably can't be done well in open air.

The other thing that I learned sorting through all of the data and charts is that most of the claims of edge life based on alloy choice are overstated (unless comparing a good sample of high cost stuff vs. a poor sample of low cost stuff), and that it's not feasible for small companies to actually have a custom alloy - instead, they look to be using something already established and calling it proprietary (or may have a mill make a melt for them and change an alloying element a trivial amount to claim it's proprietary - e.g., LV may have some slight modification to carbon in CTS-XHP, but there is no meaningful difference.)

Crown makes the same proprietary claim. To actually develop a new alloy would be extremely expensive. Larrin has done some of it as a hobby, but I believe he's relying on donated dollars to do the work, and he has a relationship with one of the powder metal makers (both stand to gain if he comes up with something great, so he's working in a way that crown or LV could not work - this is my opinion, at least).

The worst claim I've seen in all of the woodworking tools, though, is an ad for academy saw works blades from an australian retailer claiming that a $120 plane blade lasts 22 times as long as an ordinary plane blade. I did edge durability tests, and larrin has used a standard knife testing machine to do the same - M2 lasts somewhere around 70% longer than O1 steel - ASW blades are M2 at relatively high hardness).

I found a $11 chinese blade that's slightly short of M2 alloying elements (due to pinching pennies) that was 65 hardness and lasted 65% longer than a hock-equivalent O1 iron. The claim of 22 times longer is humorous, but not so funny if someone believes it and spends money that matters to them.

(and it's fair to say that if some of the turning tool makers spent the extra cost in getting M2 heat treated optimally, the cost of the lower end tools would go up).

The average shop woodworker could do a reliable test of edge durability for tools literally by spending about 10 minutes in a continuous cut on sample wood with one tool and then another, but maybe still come to a poor conclusion (if you compare a soft M2 tool to a hard M42 tool, you still don't know how much of the difference is hardness vs. alloy), and other simple things are ignored (e.g., the record power M2 skews aren't super hard, but they're not overly soft - the fact that they're in the middle makes them easy to hone on regular bench stones - so you can resharpen one in about 20 seconds and then turn for a while, and repeat. For that reason, I use them instead of the pro-PM gouge that I have - I would be averse to a 1 1/2 inch pro PM oval skew, but would hate to see what one would cost).

Back