Rutlands Plunge Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop!

As Distinterior keeps saying, if blade spins anticlockwise you will unfasten it anticlockwise.

If an axel/blade/bolt is spinning in whatever direction the logical thing is to tighten the retaining bolt in the same direction, so in use it tightens itself onto the thread.

On every machine and powertool I have come across you loosen nut/bolt by turning it the same way as the blade/cutter spins, if it was the other way you risk it unscrewing when the machine starts up.

The saw is from Rutlands though.... :wink:

Its definitely normal thread ," lefty loosey righty tighty"
I used a left handed drill bit to get mine out on the Parkside saw after a kickback whilst chopping an old shed up..
Be careful with it the bolt is soft, kickback or blade pinch tighten the blade/bolt .
If you have to drill it out , it is soft so not too bad , a normal allen head and decent washer will replace it.

It does not matter who makes the saw, Rutlands or anybody else.....ALL Tracksaws rotate their blades in an Anticlockwise direction when you face the blade. To loosen the blade, rotate the nut/bolt Anticlockwise.

If yours will not undo when you try and loosen it Anticlockwise, then there is an issue with the nut/bolt/arbor.....It has nothing to do with you thinking you may be potentially turning it in the wrong direction.....You are not!

Interesting, is that to improve the top face of the cut? I had assumed tracks aws were the same as circular saws other than the guide.

I think it's because its a plunge saw it pulls itself into the cut, preventing kick back at the start of the cut.

LancsRick":1jg0x0ut said:
Interesting, is that to improve the top face of the cut? I had assumed tracks aws were the same as circular saws other than the guide.

I think there is some confusion here.

Normal circular saws have the blade on the left but track saws have it on the right so the blades spin in opposite directions if that makes sense.

Distinterior":35neg1cu said:
It does not matter who makes the saw, Rutlands or anybody else.....ALL Tracksaws rotate their blades in an Anticlockwise direction when you face the blade. To loosen the blade, rotate the nut/bolt Anticlockwise.

Not any more...

... Kreg has decided to be the only soldier in step in the platoon.

The sensible thing to remember has already been mentioned by Mike John: for any saw blade, you should loosen the arbour by turning it (against the blade) in the same direction that the blade rotates.

Eric The Viking":1603zx0y said:
Distinterior":1603zx0y said:

Not any more...

... Kreg has decided to be the only soldier in step in the platoon.

The sensible thing to remember has already been mentioned by Mike John: for any saw blade, you should loosen the arbour by turning it (against the blade) in the same direction that the blade rotates.

I stand corrected.... :D

I had a bit of an issue with my DeWalt track saw the last time I changed the blade.

I soaked the locking bolt in WD40 for a couple of hours held the whole thing in a workmate, bought a decent quality long Allen key and it eventually came off.

Unfortunately I have rounded the bolt now so the allen key won't fit :roll:

It did not require much force to ruin the bolt. #-o

Time to drill it I suppose.

Assuming you do release the bolt without too much more pain, It _should_ be a simple metric size. I'd guess almost anybody else's similar bolt should fit. It might be worth getting a better quality one as a replacement. Not worth it happening again - you might try anti-seize (copper slip) grease on it when putting the replacement bolt in. They tighten as they are used, but I wouldn't overdo the grease - just the tiniest smear should do it.

FWIW, I keep an unused spare bolt for the mitre saw, but that's left hand thread, and the original was mangled by a previous owner.

To be honest I think that before you start attacking the saw with a drill you should get someone else to look at it before you do anymore damage.

powertools":5t5sj159 said:
To be honest I think that before you start attacking the saw with a drill you should get someone else to look at it before you do anymore damage.

It is a cheap tracksaw not a expensive German luxury car.

So as per my post above I have done the drilling before - the bolt is soft , so does not need special treatment - other than using a LH drill if you can ? They are available in sets quite cheaply and really are a good investment = once you see what they can do , forget anything like an easy out they are only for easy jobs where the thread is not tight.
Pop the LH drill in a battery drill and run anti clockwise , once it generates some heat and digs in the bolt should just wind out = I have a picture of the one I did somewhere.

Back