Rutlands Parallel Clamps (Bessey Clones - Thoughts?)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not the green Dakota ones. These:

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+hand-tools-clamps-vices-f-parallel-clamps-parallel-jaw-clamps-800mm-pack-of-6-rutlands+dk7221pack6

I already have several of the KRE100s. You can never have too many clamps but within a budget, the Besseys (which I'd highly recommend) are a little beyond my price point, and then I saw these. Usually when something is too good to be true, it means it is. Steel jaws, glue resistant, hardened steel bar. Can get 12 for around £250. Can only assume the DK in the code means they are a Dakota clamp of some sort (maybe? No idea).

What do you think? Try a few? Anybody have experience? I don't know if I trust 'Phil in Leeds' on Rutlands when 'Dave in Morecambe' tried to leave a one star but couldn't.

Marc the Robot":3nwcgv7t said:
Not the green Dakota ones. These:

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+hand-tools-clamps-vices-f-parallel-clamps-parallel-jaw-clamps-800mm-pack-of-6-rutlands+dk7221pack6

I already have several of the KRE100s. You can never have too many clamps but within a budget, the Besseys (which I'd highly recommend) are a little beyond my price point, and then I saw these. Usually when something is too good to be true, it means it is. Steel jaws, glue resistant, hardened steel bar. Can get 12 for around £250. Can only assume the DK in the code means they are a Dakota clamp of some sort (maybe? No idea).

What do you think? Try a few? Anybody have experience? I don't know if I trust 'Phil in Leeds' on Rutlands when 'Dave in Morecambe' tried to leave a one star but couldn't.
They seem to be doing a good impersonation of the high end Bessey clamps.

£15 a clamp is a good price I suppose, but there is no option to buy one to see what they are like.

I buy clamps 2 or 3 at time to make to more affordable. I got a couple of the Bessey Uniklamps for about £18 a clamp when they were on offer. That means it is not worth bothering with the cheaper ones.

Like a lot of Dakota/Rutlands stuff it is all Chinese clone sourced with their own product codes. If you look hard enough you will probably see the same thing in a different paint job on AliExpress or Banggood.com

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Uniklamps never did the same job as the REVOs, in my opinion. Good but... obviously not twice as good. Never came across the Jet clamps, Axminster Parallel clamps are just as expensive as the Besseys although cheaper in bulk (for 10 a piece) but these Rutlands ones are confusing the Hell out of me. I mean, they look good and they have all the right kind of elements but are they worth buying? Or are they likely to be an expensive mistake?

£120 plus postage is quite an outlay for 'cheap' clamps given the Dakota badge. That's over £21 per clamp which would be a good price if they were useable and had some longevity but I'm not sure I would take that gamble. I've seen previous comments on Dakota parallel clamps suggesting the serrated bar edge wears quickly rendering the clamp less effective in holding torque.

Rutland reviews are not worth the paper they aren't printed on. They have their place and I'm glad they are there but they drop down my list of viable tool supply vendors on a regular basis.

It's a gamble buying them in my opinion, I'd put my cash towards better clamps.

Appreciate this, chaps.

Not sure if these are 'Dakota'. I am just putting two and two together with the 'DK' code. I was tempted by the price but I'm just not warming to them.

Marc the Robot":244ez649 said:
Appreciate this, chaps.

Not sure if these are 'Dakota'. I am just putting two and two together with the 'DK' code. I was tempted by the price but I'm just not warming to them.
How 'hot' do you have to be for clamps!? :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

You can get some decent deals on Bessey's own site.

In one of their Flash deals for £160 I got 4 x K-Revo 60s, 2 little clamps and 2 other swivel head thingies.

For a £20 extra per clamp I reckon you're better off having the real thing.

Latest posts

Back