Rutlands new belt bobbin sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this machine?

I was thinking about getting their normal bobbin sander for 99 quid then got my eye on this and wondered if the extra 70 quid or so was worth the outlay for the belt addition.

Ive had a quick look on the internet and in the US a make named RIGID has a very similar, if not the same, machine and seems to have some decent reviews.

Any thoughts/opinions

Cheers
Phil

phil p":1rgzggkc said:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this machine?

I was thinking about getting their normal bobbin sander for 99 quid then got my eye on this and wondered if the extra 70 quid or so was worth the outlay for the belt addition.

Ive had a quick look on the internet and in the US a make named RIGID has a very similar, if not the same, machine and seems to have some decent reviews.

Any thoughts/opinions

Cheers
Phil

Further 15% off this weekend too.

The Ridgid looks a bit different to me. Bigger if nothing else.

I saw this and thought it was like the ridged as well.

I am tempted by the bobbin sander as its £99 and if I spend £1 more I get it for £95 and then there is the further 15% off. Makes it a very good deal.

DiscoStu":3iwsl4mm said:
I saw this and thought it was like the ridged as well.

I am tempted by the bobbin sander as its £99 and if I spend £1 more I get it for £95 and then there is the further 15% off. Makes it a very good deal.

I've got the bobbin sander and now I've a better idea of how to use it it works rather well.

I've bought it. Been looking at the bobbin sander for a few weeks and this seems a good deal with extra belt feature. Will let you know how it goes.

Just a note on Rutlands online ordering system at the mo.

This morning I tried to place an order. This what appeared on the screen as I checked out:

Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 14.48.09.png

I rang up. Ha-ha. Automated switchboard, dial the extension you want or 1 for sales and enquiries. So I dialled 1. It rang for or five times, told me there was no-one there and put me back to the automated switchboard. But someone did eventually answer, he replicated the problem, told me that the grand total was right even though the sub-total and discounts were both wrong.

Go figure.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 14.48.09.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 14.48.09.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,326
Steve Maskery":1q1uc0ug said:
Just a note on Rutlands online ordering system at the mo.

This morning I tried to place an order. This what appeared on the screen as I checked out:

I rang up. Ha-ha. Automated switchboard, dial the extension you want or 1 for sales and enquiries. So I dialled 1. It rang for or five times, told me there was no-one there and put me back to the automated switchboard. But someone did eventually answer, he replicated the problem, told me that the grand total was right even though the sub-total and discounts were both wrong.

Go figure.

Looks fine to me, it's just the order in which they apply their discounts. Take the first item at £14.95; because your total spend is over £100 you get the usual 5% off and 5% of £14.95 is 75p. This reduces unit cost to £14.20, 15% of which is £2.13. Checks out for the other two items too.

Steve Maskery":16szjsi2 said:
Yes, but 118.55 minus 24.03 is not equal to £100.77!
Again, sequence in which it's calculated; £118 is total with standard 5% discounted, the £24.03 is your total discount, ie, the initial 5% PLUS the promo 15%

Rutlands sent my Oscillating Belt & Bobbin Sander within 24 hours of me buying it, but then I missed delivery twice and have only just picked it up today.

The noise took me by surprise at first, especially along with a vac, but it's not too bad. Dust collection seems to be good. Using it is straight forward. I imagine the price would be quite a lot higher for an induction motor.

If anyone knows a good supplier for the sanding sleeves (belt and bobbin) I'd like to know as they aren't exactly cheap.

The only other sander I use is a random orbital so I can't really say how good this is but I get the feeling it will certainly do the job for how I'll use it. I like how everything can be stored on it and I'm glad I got the belt sander and bobbin which makes it flexible and not much bigger. Didn't cost too much with the sale weekend either.

IMG_20150905_125106192.jpg

IMG_20150905_132709417.jpg

Hi guys
I went for the Rutlands deal as well, though 24 hour delivery took 4 days. Ho hum.
It seems quite solid despite its light weight, which I like, since it will live under the bench most of the time. Would also be interested in a cheap source for abrasives....

Back