Rutlands.... I'd avoid them at all costs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deserter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just a cautionary tale for anyone thinking of using Rutlands for the first time.

I ordered one of their router tables at the start of December when they were featured on their promo email, when I placed the order it was out of stock, but after a quick phone call I was told they were expecting more any day, so placed the order. After about a week I began thinking it strange that the table had not arrived so gave them a call and was told there had been unprecedented sales and the delivery had been set back to the 10th of January, well I figured I wasn't going to need it much over Christmas so no problem, the 10th cam and went and the other day I called again to get an update, and was told that the delivery was now going to be the 10th of February. I'm expecting a delivery promise of March 10th next.

Now you may think this is just someone moaning because they are getting bad service which is isolated, well you'd be wrong. In the past I have had other issues with there service, items which were substandard, like the grinder with no brake. or delivery issues like the tool belt which was delivered to a neighbor, I searched all my neighbors, in fact every house on my street and nobody had any idea what I was talking about, Rutlands did deliver a new item without argument, so I think maybe they screwed up. So why order again I here you think, because I'm the kind of guy who always thinks people deserve another chance, I assure you they won't get another.

The moral of the tale? If you want to spend your hard earned cash on new tools, and you'd like a chance to use them prior to retirement, then probably best not to use Rutlands.

2nd that - After several bad experiences a few years ago I would neither recommend nor touch them with a bargepole

It seems rutlands are getting a bad rep at the min. But a 2 month delivery is outrageous. However saying that, its there customers thats letting them get away with it. Accepting a 2 month delivery date after being told it will be days just makes them think its ok. If it was me, order canceled, full refund and order placed elsewhere.

If loads of there customers canceled the order they would be left with surplus tables they will then have to spend money on marketing at a sale price again showing them that its not acceptable to treat customers like that.

I am lucky- I have placed a couple of orders for bits and bobs and have got them fine.

The trouble is that you get offers from rutlands that are well below the price everywhere else. To cancel the order and buy elsewhere ads quite a bit to the price, so you hope that it wont be long, it wont be you that suffers...

I adopt the policy, that if having ordered you find it is out of stock your best is to cancel the order and go elsewhere. I do this because a decent web site will be linked into the stock control system of the business and will not allow you to order in the event there are none in stock.

I too have had a couple of orders promised on a certain date and been informed that the date for delivery has been put back, it is extremely frustrating, but I do re-order when 15% off and free delivery comes around again.

I suppose it's the old 'cutting your nose off to spite your face' thing if you buy elsewhere at a higher price.

Its a different matter for pros and hobby. Hobby can wait but pros more then likely needed the stuff yesterday. Myself have ordered a few times from Rutland and have had only one issue (forget what, infact I think it was my partner as a gift for me). Regarding sometimes them being really cheap, you can always say you get what you pay for, in this case, no customer service.

I've had a few things from them, mostly when they had a sale on, and I've been lucky enough, I guess - but after reading about other people's problems I've only ever ordered stuff they've listed as in-stock.

That said, there's been a couple of times I've been a bit disappointed quality-wise. I mean - I don't expect a chisel to come honed to a razor edge, but it would be nice if the bevel was at least ground vaguely square-ish...! I can deal with it, but one gets the impression that they've put more effort into their website and graphic design than the rest of their business.

Oblique question - does anyone have any idea why they're called 'Rutlands'? We noticed when we were on holiday in the peak district that there were quite a few Rutland references (and if you ever have the opportunity to eat at the Rutland Arms in Baslow, don't), despite it not really being all that near to Rutland... was there an Earl of Rutland with land in the area or something?

After reading above, if I need something from a Rutland email, I will telephone and get a stock position and then place the order on the phone if satisfied.
I reckon that is the way to go.

Perhaps they were advertising, getting orders in, and then placing the order with their suppliers when a sufficient quantity discount was available?

Jake,
The origin of the Rutland references is that the ancestral home of the Dukes of Rutland is Haddon Hall just south of Bakewell on the A6.

Jon

I placed an order with them a while back. Clicked on all the bits that I needed and they even offered free shipping "great' as I was after a load of clamps and other bits.... After I paid with my card I received an email asking me to pay more for shipping?

Jog on Rutlands....

devonwoody":1ozbu8nw said:
After reading above, if I need something from a Rutland email, I will telephone and get a stock position and then place the order on the phone if satisfied. I reckon that is the way to go.

That doesn't work either :roll: My phone call on the Friday morning where he promised immediate dispatch and delivery on Monday showed in stock but it actually wasn't. so their computer stock doesn't match the warehouse. and I doubt if they'll physically check.

Perhaps they were advertising, getting orders in, and then placing the order with their suppliers when a sufficient quantity discount was available

I suspect they do exactly that in some cases!

Bob

chipmunk":2blcboug said:
Jake,
The origin of the Rutland references is that the ancestral home of the Dukes of Rutland is Haddon Hall just south of Bakewell on the A6.

Jon

The County of Rutland was done away with in the Govt. boundary changes in 1974 and has subsequently been partly re-established. It was/is famous for being the smallest County in the Country. It lies mainly between the M1 to the East and the A6003 in the West. Hambleton Hall is now a very posh Country House Hotel on a peninsula slap bang in the middle of a zonking great reservoir called (guess what?) Rutland Water! The reservoir is famous in the "twitcher" fraternity as the most Southerly place in the Country where you can see Ospreys in the wild. In the Spring you should see them all - huge binoculars mounted on tripods and cameras with lenses the size of your thighs!

I've got myself int a Halls up here!

One of the ancestral homes is indeed Haddon Hall, although the main one is Belvoir Casle and its 15,000 acre estate.

The eldest son (or Heir Apparent, as the pedants like to call it) carries a title which appears very frequently on many pub signs).

I don't know much about the history of Hambleton Hall, although I can confirm its Geographical location, as I said, as near as dammit in the middle of Rutland!

Hi Tony,
I've got myself int a Halls up here!

These tiltes are just so confusing and don't give any clue as to where they are. The old dukes have/had so many properties scattered all over the place - there's no relationship between their titles and where they live/own land.

Derbyshire is my old home patch and within a space of less than 10 miles there are the Dukedoms of Devonshire (Chatsworth) and Rutland (Haddon Hall).

Jon

My experience with Rutlands is mixed. My first order (I guess the same router table that prompted this post) came promptly and although not the best in the world, looks OK. My second order had a faulty part and after contacting them and returning it, the replacement came pretty quickly. My latest order for T-channel came next day.

So not perfect, but not as bad as some have found them to be.

Having previously criticised Rutlands here (mainly for some Dakota items I felt were overpriced), I too ordered and waited about 2 months recently. In my case the 66pc set of 1/2" router cutters. But they were 40% off I recall - I know they cost me £125-ish for 66, free shipping. So there is a plus side and a minus. They do however take your order and hold it, sometimes for months, but only bill when they ship. I think the smart thing with Rutlands is be opportunistic. Wait for the big deals, and maybe be prepared to wait. Have to say I am very chuffed indeed with my 66pc router set at that price (£2 a cutter!).

Latest posts

Back