Rutlands did it again!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Well, on Monday I phoned Rutlands and asked for an Incra Ultra 24 to be delivered Firday morning. Arrived on time and all correct. Mrs T let me 'check' the box :)

Just got to make a router table for it now :?

Once again Rutlands gave me A1 service - 5 times out of 5 now.

Incra_in_box.jpg

Anyone want to buy my old Router table with rather nice extruded fence? Available early in new year :wink:

That's good news Tony.
Lovely gloat dressed up in a Rutlands story too! :wink:
One little thing that's been confusing me about your success with Rutlands is: if they have only just changed their computer system over to taking payment on dispatch rather than on ordering, how come you haven't had this problem on your first four orders?
You're not hacking their system are you, fella :D

Must admit that I too was very pleased with the speed of delivery from Rutlands after my hitch and absolutely no problems with any of the items ordered. I have re ordered from them and would recommend them. Just wish I could play with my new toys! David

Aragorn":jt0mktpt said:
Lovely gloat dressed up in a Rutlands story too! :wink:
:D

Ahh. You noticed that :oops: :wink: :eek: :lol: :lol:

I have always received items from Rutlands when they stated and to be honest the longest wait was about a week and so I don't care when they took payment from my card as I was prepared to pay for it the day I ordered it.

Philly, nice to be on board. Can't wait to try the double-double jionts :D

Thankyou to whoever sent me the Norm Router table plans (sorry can't remember who it was :oops: ) very much appreciated and they will be used!!!

Interesting that when someone gives Rutlands (well deserved) praise, the posts remain low.

However, when someone slags them off, no matter how unjustified and false the allegations, there are dozens of responses :?

I think you've addressed the issue yourself in the above post - the problem most of us had with Rutlands was that they took the money on ordering, not dispatch. If the goods arrive two days later, no big deal. As an individual, hardly noticeable. For the company, that's several orders and hundreds of pounds worth of interest going to them that isn't earned.

Secondly, when the goods are not in stock (as sometimes happens with the best of them) and you are put on back order for 2 months, they've still got your money! There follows the hassle of trying to get your money back so that you can order from someone that does have it in stock. Again, in the meantime that's interest paid to them for doing nothing.
It's an appalling company policy, and clearly they've now realised it and changed it over. Good for them.

You seem to be basing your appraisal on delivery - that was never really the issue. Like I said, if it's in stock - no problem (apart from the money thing).

Hi Tony

I agree wholeheartedly with you about the lack of posts, but it could be that a lot of members of this forum just didn't use Rutlands, because of the poor way that we were treated.

As I said in another thread, my problem was Rutlands taking my money without having the goods in stock. The last time it happened it took three phone calls to get my money back.

It will take a long time for me to forget the shabby way that I and thousands of other customers were treated by Rutlands and all because they preferred to have our money in their bank account when they couldn't supply the goods.

An update to their computer system was all that was needed.

Cheers
Neil

PS Sorry, this didn't start as a rant.

but it could be that a lot of members of this forum just didn't use Rutlands, because of the poor way that we were treated.

..or it could be just that lots of us just haven't used Rutlands, not that we don't want to. :)

Tony":3dh60qu4 said:
Interesting that when someone gives Rutlands (well deserved) praise, the posts remain low.
Could be all the 'Ratters being nice and not pointing out the obvious ordering mistake you've made...
tounge.gif

Cheers, Alf

Point is Tony that you are praising them for what they state they will do rather than anything beyond that. I know you stated that they gave you A1 service but if i remember my school grading correctly it went something like this

A - Well above expected standard - exceptional
B - Above expected standard - Excellent
C - As expected for standard set - Good
D - Below expected standard - Room for improvement
E - Well below expected standard - Poor.

In fact therefore Rutlands gave you C service.

The complaints made (assuming that the facts are correct) are based on service received that is below the expected and importantly stated level. Receiving what you paid for ie the goods you wanted in the right condition delivered to your door is nice but what it should be (and what they have been paid to do).

I do agree however that not enough is made of people and businesses who go the extra mile but I think that everything should be in proportion. Usually I would not publicise just above or below standard service but I do let the supplier know. If its exceptional either way then I let them and others know.

......Well you did say that there weren't enough posts on this. :wink:

Cheers

Tim

All

I have never used Rutlands, not because of the shabby service some of you have experienced, or the fact that they take the money at the time of order. It's solely becuause I have been using Axminster and Yandles, both within 45 min drive.

Having said that I will be using Rutlands from the 1st January when I'm allowed to start my 2005 purchases (hope they've got the Incra in stock) because they stock what the others don't.

It is good to hear the good and bad thing about companies, but in the end individuals make their own value judgement on who they use.

Myself I'll use anyone if the have what I want.

Credit must also be given to Rutlands for speaking up on the forum, we need more companies like that.

tim":842s8f4i said:
A - Well above expected standard - exceptional
B - Above expected standard - Excellent
C - As expected for standard set - Good
D - Below expected standard - Room for improvement
E - Well below expected standard - Poor.

Tim

Tim

I don't agree with you on this. How can a parcel being deliverd to my house on the day I asked be improved upon?????

I got first class service, the woman on the phone even nipped into the warehouse to check stock levels. I was offered the goods next day but declined and asked for delivery on Friday morning.

The point that I was trying to make with this post is that Rutlands reputation on here is unjustly tarnished in my opinion. OK. I accept that the credit card business was not on, but they never did his to me and it is no longer happening. Rutlands have provided me with goods on time 5 times out of 5 - something Screwfix and Axminster have negelectd to do!!!

Bottom line is
a) I couldn't afford a Rat!
b) Rat is over priced by 100%
c) Rutlands did what I asked .

Tony,

There are plenty of people here who have expressed dissatifaction with Rutlands - and not just because of their previously shabby credit card charging policy.

I ordered things three times from Rutlands - they screwed up all three deliveries. Under my "3-strikes-and-out" policy I no longer order from them (and given how much gear I've bought over the past year, that's a fair amount of money gone elsewhere).

I've also relayed my Rutlands woes to other people (not just here online), and that has caused some of them to not use Rutlands. That is, I'm afraid, the cost of poor customer service, and bad reputations are very hard to shake off.

It's a shame because they have a superb catalogue and stock a lot of stuff that I don't see elsewhere. However, it takes a lot more than one posting from an unnamed employee and one example of what is in reality only expected customer service (well said Tim) to get me to go back.

Tony

I'm only reponding to your point. All they did (in your original comment) was deliver what they said they would, when they said they would at the price you paid. They ahve done nothing more than you asked for or than they said they would. That cannot in any way be described as anything else other than normal service. Not excellent, not first class but standard, what we should all get service.

If (as you have now added) that they checked in the stockroom when you phoned to see if they could fulfil your order then I agree with you that there is some praise due to them.

I'm not judging Rutlands in this instance - I agree with you about other suppliers but these people are in business and so am I. If I don't do what I say I will do then I don't get paid. I don't use Screwfix now at all because of the way they let me down so many times.

If I buy a train ticket and the train arrives on time and gets me there on time is that good service or service as it should be? When normality gets praised for being more than it is then standards always slide.

Sorry, I'm not having a rant at you :oops: but this is one of my real bug bears about the state of service in the UK. :evil:

Cheers

T

Never used Rutlands and unlikley to ever do so. Why?
Much as I like flicking through their catalogue and looking at various items that I'd like and are not available elsewhere in the UK, a company that charges me the guts of £15 delivery to N. Ireland ain't getting a single penny of my hard earned.
Delivery Timetable ....

Destination Cost per complete order
Delivery period
UK Mainland £5.95* 2 Working Days
UK Offshore £14.95 5 Working Days
Northern Ireland £14.95 5 Working Days
Ireland £19.95 5 Working Days
Channel Isles £29.95 5 Working Days

Earlier in the year I needed a new Little Wizard metal detector (and no, not for looking for coins down the back of the sofa...). Off to Rutlands, £19.95 + £14.95 = £34.90 and 5 days delivery. Better check Axminster, £16.92 and £3.95 = £20.90 with 3 day delivery. No brainer, as far as I'm concerned. Naturally I put the order in with my next biggish Axminster order and got free delivery.
Frankly, for stuff that I can't get anywhere else I'd rather go Stateside AND save money.
Regarding Rutlands "post", more like a press statement you'd hear on Watchdog. No name, totally unfriendly, we acted within the law, blah, blah.
Sort your prices and your shipping and I'll buy from you.

Noel, who is rather glad he doesn't do WW in the Channel Islands.
PS As far as I recall if you have an account with UPS / Fedex etc, ship anywhere in UK for £3.50 odd up to 30KG.

I think the best indicator of customer service quality is not that the item is delivered within the stated terms and conditions (I have to agree totally with Tims very well made point), but rather on how a customer is dealt with when something is NOT right. Faulty or damaged goods, non-delivery, repair/replacement under warranty, or more crucially if only just outside warranty. These are the experiences by which we all judge a supplier.

Tonys experience may well be very positive, but clearly the current consensus is different, however things may change - lets hope so.

cheers

Ike

Latest posts

Back