Rutlands Dakota X450 chuck..SORTED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumps

Established Member
Reaction score
As a result of Nev's post a few days ago

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/owch-t57267.html

1. Rutlands were inundated with orders and sold the lot
2. I got my card out of the fridge, where it's been sitting since someone recommended polishing mops, and ordered a chuck and set of all it's jaws.

Mine arrived this morning =D>

Mine has 2 x 1"x 8tpi insets #-o

My lathe has 3/4" x 16tpi spindle :cry:

Rutlands are very sorry, will obviously take it all back etc, but don't have any inserts.

Don't suppose anyone got one with 2x 3/4 x 16 inserts :?:

you must have faster postmen in kent, i'm still waiting for mine! due today according to RM . we will see what mine comes with. maybe yours have dropped into my box while it was on the shelf!
update to follow

Mine arrived today so I'll have a look for you when I get back into the workshop. Don't know how many they had in stock but glad I didn't hang around, I also ordered all of the jaws which should give me a few more options, I must admit I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of all of the items when they arrived.

Steve

thanks to those both looking and offering assistance.

as you Steve, and I think Nev, I got all the jaws available hence my with to pursue a solution!

generally 3/4 x 16 doesn't represent a likely upgrade path so I have hopes I can find one that is surplus to requirements; it also came with a spare set of screws and I was planning on passing a couple of those to a fellow forumite who is going to have to drill at least one out of his chuck in order to use it going forward.....the plan was so simple :)

Jump's, just popped out to the workshop and am afraid to say that both of mine are different so am unable to help. Hope you find one though.

Steve

Can you post a photo of the insert that you have, the reason I ask is that I have an insert from a chuck that I think came from Rutlands but I am not sure. It is a 3/4 x 16 and if it is the same you are welcome to it.

john

jpt":3hj3zrqo said:
Can you post a photo of the insert that you have, the reason I ask is that I have an insert from a chuck that I think came from Rutlands but I am not sure. It is a 3/4 x 16 and if it is the same you are welcome to it.

john

John

They show reasonably clearly in this web image of a similar chuck

CUG3418C.jpg

If the female bit is 3/4 x 16 then I would seem to need the male to be either 1x8 or 1 1/2 x 8 and I can make this work - I think - as I detailed in my other thread on thread confusion; well at least no-ones suggested it isn't 1 1/2 x 8 for those measurements!

Quick camera shot of one of the 1 x 8tpi females I got

6681059443_ed9a242313_z.jpg

first time I have uploaded to flikr from my phone =D>

Really appreciate you having a look - almost become a mission because the complete jaw set look really well cut, and the flat jaws mean I can retire the ply ones etc

Well at least I know what I need now, as well as a little history.

The X450 is a Barracuda, which is a copy of the Supernova.....

RS developed a female chuck thread to enable the majority of lathe spindles to be accomadated with an insert - this is known as m38 x 3, but doesn't actually represent any spindle (hence my earlier confusion about size).

So, I can basically get an RS insert for the Patriot/Supernova with a 3/4" x 16tpi thread.

The downside is that they cost just a tiny bit less than the chuck....

I bought the Rutlands X700 chuck and it came with a 3/4" x 16tpi threaded adaptor is that what you need.

If you let me know and your welcome to have it.

Jim

Unfortunately thats not the one I have if Jims is no good I will have a look at club as we have a couple of spare ones there we wont use.

john

j1mbr0wn":2i4pap13 said:
I bought the Rutlands X700 chuck and it came with a 3/4" x 16tpi threaded adaptor is that what you need.

If you let me know and your welcome to have it.

Jim

Jim,

That may work. The X700 is directly threaded at 1" x 8tpi I believe, so I could use that into the 1 x 8 bush I have to complete the job.

Put another way, if your lathe is 1 x 8tpi spindle then 'yes please'!

EDIT - this will work; it's the correct size.

Duncan

Back