Rutlands Clamp It Squares - any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got some little mitre clamps which are ok for holding things at rough right angles, but they're not perfectly accurate. Rutlands have the Clamp It Squares on sale, but before I click buy, anyone have any thoughts on them, or alternative methods of clamping things square?

Thanks,
Mark

Very easy to make your own and get dead accurate by trimming on a shooting board. Made myself about a dozen of them as they are very useful come assembly time.

studders":2vua8etk said:
Very easy to make your own and get dead accurate by trimming on a shooting board. Made myself about a dozen of them as they are very useful come assembly time.

I thought about that, but I don't have a shooting board yet. It's another thing which has been on my to-do list for some time!

Neither did I, it was on my tuit list too. :)

It only took about half an hour to knock up something that was 'good enough' , with a fence set bang on 90, to do the job.

As well as making clamping squares you might also want to try a Third Hand. Its a large right angle shape maybe 8" to 18" high and the same along the base with a ply brace to hold securely.

They are a heavy weight or can have weights added to the base and are great for final aligning of cabinet carcasses, drawers etc where the Third Hand is used on the outside of the object.

Idea was taken from a machinist friend who has several in his workshop but they cost over £500 each.

Alan

studders":1780bw4w said:
Neither did I, it was on my tuit list too.

It only took about half an hour to knock up something that was 'good enough' , with a fence set bang on 90, to do the job.
I might have a go tomorrow then!

beech1948":1780bw4w said:
As well as making clamping squares you might also want to try a Third Hand. Its a large right angle shape maybe 8" to 18" high and the same along the base with a ply brace to hold securely.

They are a heavy weight or can have weights added to the base and are great for final aligning of cabinet carcasses, drawers etc where the Third Hand is used on the outside of the object.

Idea was taken from a machinist friend who has several in his workshop but they cost over £500 each.

Alan
Sort of like a big speed square? I think Niki made something similar to that - I'll look at some of his jig builds again tonight.

Cheers,
Mark

I bought a couple of these some years ago from Rockler as they weren't available in the UK at the time. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and accuracy of them and they get regular use. They are really chunky and solid and I'd replace them if they ever went missing.

Misterfish

Back