Rutlands 5 Star Review vs Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
These are from the same manufacturer, SOBA, but the Rutland's one have the sizes etched on the blade and they are described as Dakota.

Rutlands 5 Star Review. You'll need to click customer reviews.

Axminster's 3 Star Review. You'll need to click customer reviews.

You'd better rush to Rutlands as they are on special offer there with 30 pounds off, so they're only 29.95. Silly me, they're only 25 pounds at Axminster.

ROFL

Thanks,
Neil

Sorry but how can Rutlands have a 5 star review when one of the squares in the picture doesn't even have the graduations marked on it like the other sizes! #-o

Sorry but that sums Rutlands up in my opinion - Never had anything but problems with them in the past

Blister":32wo6gr0 said:
:?: How do you know they are the same items :?:

I don't know that they are the same item, which is why I said they are from the same manufacturer and they are the same sizes.

Thanks,
Neil

Dodge":3olizhg8 said:
Sorry but how can Rutlands have a 5 star review when one of the squares in the picture doesn't even have the graduations marked on it like the other sizes! #-o
Sorry but that sums Rutlands up in my opinion - Never had anything but problems with them in the past

Actually they don't quite look the same items. The Axminster ones don't have any graduations and they look a bit rough in close-up, and the Rutland ones are in a wooden box :) With Rutland's eternal sale wait for 15% and free shipping offer - and they're cheaper.

I don't imagine there's much between them and they'd probably be okay for woodworking. Dunno about precision metalwork though.

I've had minor problems with both firms and both were sorted satisfactorily.

I don't think they are any different to anyone else TBH.
If your not happy with the goods get a refund, simples.

gardenshed":1tifirfj said:
I don't think they are any different to anyone else TBH.
If your not happy with the goods get a refund, simples.

I'm sorry, but how can you possibly compare Rutlands to Axminster, G&S and Lee valley to name a few?

Just have a look at the G & S Reviews if you think all companies are the same.

As I've said before, if everything goes smoothly Rutlands are great. But, to me, a sign of a good company is the way they handle things when they don't go well.

Thanks,
Neil

I've bought three Soba squares of different sizes. I thought the first was an aberration. It wasn't.

None of 'em are square to the naked eye. So I got a Fisher 6" one (from Tilgear, I think, although it might have been Chronos). It's fine - just does what's claimed.

Incidentally, the Fisher is the only one of the lot with a 'BS 939 grade B' mark. The others aren't marked, but came in Soba boxes.

I think their stuff is rubbish - it certainly caused me to waste a lot of time and materials.

Cheers,

E.

PS: Einstein said the definition of insanity was repeating the same activity whilst expecting a different outcome. Draw your own conclusions :-(

RogerP":aqk5aoxl said:
Dodge":aqk5aoxl said:

Actually they don't quite look the same items. The Axminster ones don't have any graduations and they look a bit rough in close-up, and the Rutland ones are in a wooden box :) With Rutland's eternal sale wait for 15% and free shipping offer - and they're cheaper.

I don't imagine there's much between them and they'd probably be okay for woodworking. Dunno about precision metalwork though.

I've had minor problems with both firms and both were sorted satisfactorily.
I think Rutlands have recently moved in to a new building. I suspect the mortgage is killing them in the current climate, hence the continual sales, no new catalogue so far etc.

Hudson Carpentry":w3sh5q7d said:
A new rutlands cat came through my door a couple days after new year??
Nothing to me yet. I usually get one + website still says they're sending 2011 one out so 2+2=5. I'll request a new one.

Cheers

Back