Rutland router cutters - Any good ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that Rutlands are simply typical of any on-line business, they are commercially focused and bring in stock to match what they are aiming to do as a business - provide offers / make money / etc. Sure, that means that to a certain degree they are bringing in Chinese / rebranded kit, but so are many other suppliers...

I have bought some sash clamps from them - very good value, and seem perfectly good quality
I have bought a belt / disc sander from them - again, the same as any of the other chinese versions and works perfectly well...
Only today I have ordered an air filter from them - interestingly, I was looking at three types:
- Their version
- Axminster version (out of stock)
- Record Power version - ordered from another supplier - their website said in stock, so I bought it, to only then be told today that they have no stock and I can have it after Christmas... so I cancelled that order, and bought from Rutlands - in stock and already processed to be delivered tomorrow...

ultimately, they have a good website / stock system and so far everything they have sent has been as expected - happy to therefore carry on using them!

Thanks for all the replies thus far. Still trying to work out if its 60 or 30d i will need. Stock is a tapering 20mm-15mm in 19mm thick stock.
Think it best to make up a dry run ,hand planing each tapered section to see how its going to look and fit.
I wanted to use tapering sections rather than glue up multiple boards and turn them down, but it all could prove somewhat fiddly, especially when routing the thin end of the taper, and might cause breakout or even losing the entire tip.
Lengths would be something like 17" long, tapering 20mm wide end-6x20=120mm with the narrow section being 15mm-15x6=90mm.
Ive not enough long section boards to really be able to glue up the entire thing and turn it, hence utilizing short sections so I can have it hourglass shaped with a round or spherical maple 'ball' in the middle to give me the total length, which is about 38".

This is always my bloody way of doing thing. Nothing simple oh no, always got to be the trickiest hardest way of achieving a simple look. The Heath Robinson approach :rolleyes:

I think I might have cracked the problem.

Was spending the wee small hours(Note posting time eek) looking for the 1/2" 30d cutter and while going through ebay i happened upon a trend seller and in amongst the list were....NOVA CUTTERS.

AhA! Now many many years ago when Trend had their ebay clearance shop they were selling these off for a song and I bought both1/2" bodies, plus cages and about 12 sets of cutters. I'd forgotten completely about them.
In amongst the cutters i bought...was a 30degree chamfer :D
I've spent the last hour trying to find them in the horror show that is my workshop, with its many drawers and cubby holes and yup, got a set. Rummaging quietly as its 4am
Plus it seems many of the standard cutters in 1/4" the depth is only between 7 - 10mm and i need about 15mm as a minimum, and the nova one is 18mm, so it looks like I can even get 3mm onto the bearing.

Back