Rutland 100mm cyclone dust collector kit DK7204

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond UK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been on the lookout for a 100mm cyclone (cyclone central) for ages with no luck so I have been running one of those 15 quid chinese 2" cyclones on top of a 60L barrel connected to a 1hp Clarke chip extractor for the last few years. 100mm from the extractor to the cyclone and the 50mm odd to my table saw with another reducer as my table saw has a 100mm output. This has worked remarkable well for years.

Since a few weeks I'm the proud owner of a Triton TPT125 thicknesser so started to look for a 100mm cyclone as the 50mm hose just won't cut it.

I dropped on the 100mm kit from Rutlands and for the price it's well worth a try. I have ordered a 120L barrel (60L fills up in no time), some new clamps and 100mm hose.

Finished a bit early today as you do when you have a pile of new goodies to play with I assembled the new dust collection thing. Well, I'm impressed. The suction is so much greater. There's actually no dust left inside the table saw and it does a great job on the thicknesser too with this adapter.

To put the thicknesser to the test I've ran my makeshift shelving through it as they were quite rough. Top marks for the Triton thicknesser. My shelves are as smooth as a babies bum!!

Assembly is a breeze. Lugging all laminated pine out off the shed to redo the shelves and then having to restack it all is where the aches come from..

I've only filled the 120L drum halfway but it's looking good so far. I imagine when it get's near the top it'll just suck it straight through the extractor. Maybe a baffle will be needed or just regular checks to see if it's full. It's a major upgrade from the cyclone anyway.

Maybe useful for other members on here.

Before chink cyclone

The new toy in action

Lots of pine to be shifted. It's easier to just go to the gym....

Tight fit but all is squeezed into the corner and is working very well

Last edited:
I don’t think that’ll fit unless it’s possible to remove the extractor bag and connect a pipe straight through the wall?

I did look at them but they’ve been out of stock for so long. Same with a lot of axi stuff.

have you tried one of these with a 1hp extractor?

Last edited:
I've just purchased this kit from Rutlands and am now looking at appropriate barrals to attach to - my question is reagrding the placement of these on the lid - the instructions state that they should be placed 2" in from the edge but give no view on the minimal distance separating them - does anyone know if this matters? eg: if I have a barrel with a diameter 14" this will only leave a 2" seperation centrally between the inlet and outlet (eg: 2"-4"-2"-4"-2") - is this sufficient?

Whilst I'm here - I also stumbled over some interesting plans for building a dust collection cabinet using the Rockler version of this kit (plans can be found at http://go.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000792AA.pdf) on looking at the design it strikes me that it wouldn't be air tight leading to dust escaping - would be interested in getting views from those more knowledable than myself.

Whilst I'm here - I also stumbled over some interesting plans for building a dust collection cabinet using the Rockler version of this kit (plans can be found at http://go.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000792AA.pdf) on looking at the design it strikes me that it wouldn't be air tight leading to dust escaping - would be interested in getting views from those more knowledable than myself.

Agreed that the Rockler dust collection cabinet doesn’t look air tight but I think it would lead to some loss of suction rather than dust escaping as the negative pressure will suck air in through any gaps. I’d be tempted to build it so the drawer fronts closed onto a seal all the way round. The suction will tend to pull them in against it.

I've just purchased this kit from Rutlands and am now looking at appropriate barrals to attach to - my question is reagrding the placement of these on the lid - the instructions state that they should be placed 2" in from the edge but give no view on the minimal distance separating them - does anyone know if this matters? eg: if I have a barrel with a diameter 14" this will only leave a 2" seperation centrally between the inlet and outlet (eg: 2"-4"-2"-4"-2") - is this sufficient?

Hi I didnt see a link to what you purchased from Rutlands. I'm sure it will be fine. see deminions of my Rutlands thing below.

Rutland have a few items on their site at the moment. I bought this on one of their half price deals for £49, but they seem to have discontinued it. Mine has a DK ref number, but the latest one 'new' has an R number - maybe only supply form china getting through. So not sure if its the same thing as advertised for £89 on the site. I would probably have bought the £29 kit if it was available at that time as I have an old barrel. The advantage of their kit is all the hozes fit together and it has a lot of adaptors .

Dimensions.
This works well on the end of my wifes old Miele vac for hoovering around the bench. Like most people I have a number of retired vac around the main dust makers.
1632907915231.jpeg

Dimension are diameter of lid is 12 inch, one hole in the centre has od of 6cm (ie 2/3/8 inches) and another near the rim same size ie 6cm, its 2 inches in from the rim with same diameter hole, so the separation between the two holes is only about 1.5 inches. I think your set up would work better as you want to keep the swirling part away from the extract part. The dust needs to swirl around the edge, so I guess 2 inches in will give the right velocity gradient from the edge of the drum - you get drag at the edge. But this works well, a massive reduction in dust into the vac bag.

Despite all the adapter, I had to made some hoze adaptors using pvc pipe with slits cut as per a previous thread on this forum. Every item in my garage has a different sized port......

I once read that some gaps can help build a cyclone effect that improves dust collection?

There is a lot of misinformation out there. Consider the sources very carefully before you buy into it. If that was from a government paper or a major industrial dust collection supplier then sure. If it is from a youtuber, magazine, or retailer of home dust collectors then nope. If gaps and leaks improved dust collection then the big folks would incorporate them into their systems, which they don't.

Pete

Back